Fan Speed control by overhang/bridging?

As above, don’t know if this is possible somehow but I certainly didn’t see it - coming from my older industrial slicer, where you could change fan speed to match different overhangs and then force it to 100% just for bridges, this is sorely missed - especially for filaments like ABS/ASA/Nylon where I only want the fan on where absolutely necessary and minimum amounts.

I’d imagine since we have ‘Slowdown for overhangs’ already we could use the exact same function to change fan speeds for overhangs too. I.E, for a nylon you could then do:

25% overhang - 0% fan
50% overhang - 0% fan
75% overhang - 20% fan
95% overhang - 50% fan
100% (Bridges) - 100% fan

Giving cooling only where it’s needed on the layer and not having to add it for the whole layer, etc.

1 Like

I have also wanted this fan cooling control.

I have requested this to the Orca slicer team in the past. Let’s hope they add it in the near future and both slicers get it :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Yep, it makes far more sense than the slowdown for overhang, I don’t know why this way around wasn’t the initial idea.

It’s the same with support interface layers - I can change filament for those, which involves cooling/heating the nozzle and waiting, etc - so why can’t I set a temperature and speed for those just like if they were a different filament, but without changing filament?

If I’m printing PET-G at 270c and 300mm/s, then having the option to drop to 100mm/s for the odd dense/interface support layer at 220-230c would make them seperate so much more cleaning because their bonding would be poor.
You can do that if you load a different roll of PET-G from the AMS, but not the PET-G you’re already using…seems very weird, it’d be far faster than a change in filament.

Yep both slicers have room for way more advanced settings needed.

Ocra slicer has a support interface fan speed setting that helps if you did not know but most likely you are already using Orca slicer :smiley:

I wasn’t but I’ll give it a try