[Feature Request] better handling of run-out with AMS

Specifically for folks with the AMS:

the only advance handling of run-out is when you have 2 spools of the exact same stuff in the AMS before printing.

Problem 1

When printing practical things I frequently don’t care what color it ends up and would be perfectly happy to have it swap to another spool that I defined before printing started.

I’d like to be able to tell the printer to “use the filament in slot 3 if you run out”

Problem 2
When you run-out and it doesn’t know what to switch to you can’t tell it “the stuff in slot 3”. It will only continue if you put filament in the same slot that ran out. So you have to remove a perfectly usable filament from a different slot, and stick it in the slot that just ran out. This means you have to be physically present to continue the print.

When it doesn’t know what to switch to after run-out, I want the ability to indicate a slot number for it to use on the screen and in the mobile app. This should include the slot number that just ran out so that I still have the option of just replacing it instead of switching slots.

Note
For both of these, a solution should support the fact that some people have multiple AMSs and allow us to specify which slot in which AMS.

1 Like

Not sure about problem 2 but the easy fix for problem 1, at least if you know it will run out during the print, is to lie to the printer. Tell it the back up spool is the same brand, type and color. It will happily switch to the second spool. I have a couple of printed spools that are 2, 3 and even 4 colors using this method to use up spools with just a few meters on them. One of those spools lived in the bottom drawer of my stand without drying or a bag since 2018 and it worked fine for the purpose.

1 Like

and remove the RFID if its a BAMBU spool, unless I havent found the way yet, I cant tell the AMS to IGNORE an RFID it reads, so I cannot fake a Bambu PLA Black 5 meters left, to finish off a Sunlu PLA Black … I have to use the Bambu one first… and Fake the Sunlu into Bambu … for example.

Still a good idea and thank for sharing it @lasermike we prollly all do it to some extent but dont realy mention it, that being said … #2 would fix it all…

1 Like

I don’t typically use Bambu filament so didn’t think about the RFID tag. That does throw a wrench in the works.

1 Like

Yes, that’s a decent workaround, and thanks for pointing it out, but there have been many times when i thought there was enough, and was wrong. Also, we shouldn’t have to trick our tools in order to accomplish reasonable things.

1 Like