FEATURE REQUEST - Change of order for steps before print

The X1 can determine whether a plate is placed on the bed at all or whether it’s the wrong plate for the sliced print. That’s great.

However, in my opinion the detection of the plate must happen before cleaning of the nozzle tip at the back of the plate and before the z-offset is probed for each print. Basically it should be the first thing the printer does before anything else happens in the build chamber.
It can always happen that you - for some reason - forget to place the plate before printing. Whether it’s a phone call in the wrong moment or whatever.

Would be great, if the order of the pre-print-process would be changed.

this is not in the firmware, its in the slicer machine g-start code.
you can change the order yourself, but if would be good, if the order can changed in the slicer, by default.
so this part is open source and you can do it or someone of the community can do this. but you should address it here:

1 Like

Thanks for your tip. As I‘ve no experience with posting issues on GitHub: Do I need to have an account to post or are there any other specialties I should know?

Until it has homed the z axis it doesn’t know where the build plate is to be detected or identified by the LIDAR/Camera/whatever.

It would have to home the z axis using the LIDAR/Camera/whatever. I have no idea if doing that reliably is possible. If it were I would think they would be using it to initially home faster without all the wobbling to check/calibrate the bed force sensors.

Actually a good point.

My approach for this would be, to move the camera (head) to the area where the QR-code should be and move the bed up and let the cam “listen” for the code. As I assume that the camera has no auto focus, there must be a defined distance, where the code is in focus of the cam. If the code is detected, next is the determination whether or not the correct plate is installed. If the nozzle get’s a “hit” (like during probing) before the cam detects a code, it must be that no plate is installed.

I’m no programmer and have no idea how this could be implemented. But I’m hoping somebody with the skills is reading this. :wink:

However, I’m sure something like this detection would be very welcomed in print-farms.