[Feature Request] completely manage print profiles

I searched the forum and already found some topics regarding this but they were not as complete as I expected… So:

As a designer I want to have the ability to fully manage the print profiles of my model:

• Approve foreign print profiles before they appear live (kind of review process). Sometimes profiles are uploaded just to earn points and are completely reasonless!

• Rename the headline of foreign print profiles.

• Delete pictures from foreign print profiles (sometimes they are absolutely missleading)

• Delete foreign print profiles

• temporary disable print profiles („private“ will not work for foreign print profiles)

• choose how to order print profiles

I would really appreciate those features!
BR,
B@sti

11 Likes

you want all the points for yourself is what your saying right? regardless of your intentions, that will be the bigger problem than all the other problems you mentioned.

if a profile is no good then report it for all the reasons you mentioned.

when I always have to report those profiles → the team which is caring about these issues is already overloaded → on the long term this will take days to take an invalid profile offline → within this time maybe a lot of people are using faulty stuff → the model is getting bad reputation.

If I don’t want to allow foreign profiles then no other profile will be added. when I allow profiles, then I also want to take care about these profiles. It’s really not about earning points. In my case it’s more about consistency. I want to make things more transparent and often profiles are added without any explanations or are completely useless. just changing the filament type for example. everyone can do this on his smartphone as well. so there is no need for such stuff. I want to get rid of those profiles which do not explain / change anything relevant. I’m really spending a lot of time in doing descriptions, explanations, … . So I also want to take care about all the content which is added to my model 'cause it’s a kind of business card representing me.

edit: by the way → I created a community project where I even say → use my template to add other stuff and earn points yourself → so it’s really not about “I want to have it all by my own” which you are saying / guessing :wink: …but I want to take care about the content and the quality of how my model is modified. and this should be completely in the hands of the designer. for this reason you have “licences” right

2 Likes

What’s wrong with that? Do you know how annoying it is when you spend time makeing, testing and perfecting a print for some profile spammer to then spend 2 seconds to add a profile just to get points off you work.

4 Likes

profile spammers is something different, you can report profiles that have no meaningful differences or changes and have them removed. you also get download points when someone downloads a different users profile, Also, if someones profile is getting more downloads than your own maybe you could look into what changes have been made to their profiles that make them more popular than your own.

it’s not only about the spammers. it’s about missing quality. when I create content I want to have the ability to manage that stuff which is added because it may not fulfills my quality standards. I’m the creator of the original and it should be my decision to say → this foreign content is fine for me and maybe other stuff is not!

2 Likes

i agree with you to an extent. the whole system makes little sense but… this is the system so you need to look at it objectively , your “standards” have absolutely no bearing in another persons needs/wants. maybe they want to print your highly detailed model using some random users “draft” profile . maybe the model will come out looking like junk if you had your say about it… but your uploading this to the public… so its not your say what others do with your model after you uploaded it. if your profiles are the best then they will speak for themselves with number of downloads and ratings.

of course it’s may say as I’m specifying the licence model. And when I say “full licence” then I should have the ability to decide what happens with my model. It’s not about completely disabling the profiles. …but I want to review them and maybe give hints. maybe even a profile is better than mine then I would also recommend that profile over my default profile. I just want to have the ability to control the quality. I’m a senior dev and reviewing is my daily business. As a professional I want to deliver good quality. I also want to do this here even it’s only a hobby. In the end this is a WIN / WIN for everyone. Reviewed profiles, less spam, more quality while on the other hand the bambu-team does not have to maintain all that reports.

1 Like

could you not just download/inspect/print/rate/comment/review another users profile of your model?

I can’t rate my own model even it’s another profile. I also do not want to print each new profile which is added to my model :stuck_out_tongue: so in the end a kind of profile management for the originator would be the best solution and solve a lot of other issues. maybe it would be cool to classify the model in the way:

• do whatever you want
  • I want to take care

…and then the management feature applies

I’d prefer if they just had a toggle like this

Do you want other people to be able to upload print profiles to your model?

• Yes
  • No
2 Likes

as I said in my last post it would be cool the following way:

→ the toggle you just mentioned and then if you say yes → the ability to manage the things which are added.

when I decide to delete my model also all the other stuff is deleted. so I’m already able to delete other profiles. I don’t know the exact base model in the backend (middleware) but (CR)UD operations for foreign models would be a so called “low hanging fruit” which would solve so much other problems at the same time.

The majority of model designers (not saying you, just a very large majority) are terrible at creating good profiles. The default settings in Bambu Studio / Orca are horrible and you see these unchanged a lot (grid infill, I’m looking at you).

Ultimately, just because you’re the model creator, doesn’t mean you get to tell me how to use my printer. That’s the whole point of other people being able to upload print profiles - to improve, alter, or tailor settings to different machines/set-ups.

Designers already get a giant “designer” label on their profiles, plus a bump to the top of the list. That’s more than enough.

1 Like

first of all - yes - I also have models where I do not care so much. these are the models from my beginning here. if you carefully read the whole thread you would have read that in the last statements that I said → first classify your model (I don’t care about profiles or I care about them). I also would classify some of my models → I don’t care - do what you want. But my prominent models which are heavily printed / downloaded → I wan’t to take care!

so it’s not about telling you how to use your printer. you always have the ability to download a model, change all stuff locally for you and print it. this is an option which will be always there. BUT - when the model designer e.g. says “my model is under licence and I do not want to have any other changes” this should be respected. then I:

• do not want any print profiles
  • or I accept print profiles BUT I want to take care about these profiles. so under these circumstances I don’t want to have any bullshit profiles. I accept other profiles and I’m even professional enough to admit that a profile is maybe better than mine. then this is totally ok. but I want to have the power to decide it because it’s my model. the designer label is not enough. just think about the licence. at the very beginning I was thinking that saying my model has “standard digital licence” is preventing any kind of profiles. …this is not the case. so when it’s possible to add a profile having that licence scheme then the author should completely decide whether something is able to be published.

In the past I directly contacted the user when something in the profile did not match. This needs time. during this time a lot can happen. sometimes there is even no reply. shall I accept that someone is adding bullshit to my stuff? NO. so I have to report it. this takes time. bambu has a lot of things in the pipe and this won’t get less. so in the future a profile management for the author is a WIN/WIN.

2 Likes

start a patreon where people can directly pay you for your work instead of sharing it on makerworld, then you can be your own boss and control whatever you want

you completely miss the point… you do not need to share my idea but stop commenting such nonsense

3 Likes

@AussieGrit said it perfectly. just because your the designer doesn’t mean you get to control how people use the model forever. if you want that then dont publicly share your models.

and I argumented with the licence and that you can do personally what you want. but this does not apply for sharing that stuff (change of a licenced model)! this is under the licence of the originator. you can’t discuss that away because that is the law!

edit: …and please stop writing “then basicly do not upload your models”. this is not part of the discussion and leads to nowhere… I want to share my models to the public that’s why I’m here. I just want to preserve my rights and remove bogus content I not want to have! when I have the control over what is shared within my small context then I can have the control over the quality. ok this is a little bit breaking out of the context but even bambu writes on their own:

they admit that the designer should know best whats good and not (ok some users are not experienced enough thats right but with the review process I’m asking for they also learn something new!) so the designer should decide what’s added to the profiles and what not.

4 Likes

I would argue the opposite.

The majority of profile creators (I’ll throw the same caveat here that I am not specifically talking about you, I don’t know you specifically) don’t know the intricate details of parts that require strength in complex designs and simply throw either “standard” practices or practices that work for SOME models into a profile without very much care or thought.

Many profile spammers are just in it for the points and they congest the lanes for people who actually have good profiles/designs and those who are willing to discuss errors/changes and implement them.

If it’s an intricate/complex design I don’t want anyone else putting a profile together that won’t print identically what was intended and waste other folks filament/time. If it’s a very bland part that doesn’t require dimensions/tolerances/exactness, then sure that is what a toggle would be for. Go ahead and change a few settings.

What we want here is an OPTION. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

the way u use “foreign” i can tell u life in east germany… lol

there are no models for sale on here anyway, why do ppl even complain???
is it because of a 40euro giftcard LOL?
mw is a absolut beginner site to get into 3d priting with their new bambu nothing more!

if u have designs u only want to sell why dont u upload them on other sites if ur designs are so valuable and importat just dont upload them on here

as a real engineer or designer getting pissed because a bunch of noobs doing semi pro stuff is just whack like i said there are a ton of more proffessional sites