Feature request - Real Silent mode (Ninja mode?)

I wish there was a real “Silent” mode. And by that I mean a fully optimized profile, where the only priority is the quietness of the printer. So not only reduce speed, but reduce (even drastically) accelerations and fan usage, in order to reduce the noise to the minimum. I’d call it “Ninja” mode :slight_smile: When in Ninja mode, I really don’t care about the speed, it can take even 8x the time, I really don’t mind, Id just use it to keep printing while watching a movie, having a call, or while wife wants to take yoga classes while I’m printing (yes, that is the issue :slight_smile: ) My previous printer was a fully modded Ender 3 with the silent board and noctua fans, and I had to check the printer every once in a while because I couldn’t tell if it was printing or not. I’m sure this beast of a printer (X1 Carbon) could achieve great amounts of Ninjaness! :ninja: I don’t like to pause prints!

8 Likes

Yes! I’m feeling a bit misled by the “silent” mode. I’m coming from a printer with silent stepper drivers and the X1C is so much louder even when going slower.

2 Likes

There is one, just press the power off button :wink:

EDIT: just a joke, I agree my CR10SPro with TMC2208 & silent fans is nearly inaudible at 2 or 3 meters

1 Like

Really agree with this feature request. The speed would not be a thing during the ninja mode (during the night for me), and it would allow to get bigger (longer) prints !

2 Likes

I don’t think we need more modes.
I’d vote for rebranding silent mode as Ninja mode and putting in some work to make it quieter,

I doubt the steppers can run much quieter, but lower jerk and dropping the chamber fan down to 60% makes a huge difference.

I’d also like to select the mode when sending the print from bambu slicer.

I agree that we don’t need more modes. I’d just rebrand the silent mode into Ninja mode because ninjas are cool :ninja: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can see Tesla stealing that idea.

Regarding one of the “starting” issue (noise during Yoga lessons or night), is it possible to pause the print for a long time (8h) and resume without issue ?

Did not try, but many printer does this (power recovery), only real issue is that if your print is made to detach on plate cooling, wich is not the case on cool plate on Bambulab

1 Like

I have done a couple prints with an 8hr pause and one with a one week pause (waited for filament reorder) and it resumed without an error but there is a noticeable layer shift where it was paused.

1 Like

Power recovery isn’t reliable even without the detachment issue. When I tested it explicitly, it worked 1 of 3 times. When it didn’t work, it just gave a generic “could not resume print” error.

2 Likes

+1 real silent / sleep
mode!!!

I’d also like to add my vote for an actual silent mode. I have setup custom filament profiles with lower fan speeds (60% aux, 60% chamber and 70% toolhead/90% toolhead for overhangs) and custom printing profiles with slow speeds and acceleration. This is great for printing when I don’t care about speed, but it’s still far from silent. As far as I can tell the loudest part is the nozzle fan (?) that I can’t control. Why is that even running at high speeds during printing, is the printer actively heating and cooling the nozzle at all times?