Feature Request: Smooth top layer under extruded text

This feature has been requested numerous times on Reddit and on the Bambu forums.

It is very simple:

The top layer directly under extruded text or other small extrusions should be printed as a smooth, solid top surface with as few extrusion lines as possible.

The top surface under extruded text should be printed as if it’s the topmost layer of the entire print and there is no extruded text on top.

28 Second Long Example Video

If this issue is important to you then I implore you to reply here.

5 Likes

Yes… It’s an issue for me too.
I printed a disk in TPU with extruded lettering, and the top layer underneath the text was only partially ironed, even when “Iron All Top Surfaces” was selected in the slicer, leaving weird lines on the surface of the disk.

2 Likes

It should print that top layer under the text as if that is the very top of the print with no text on top.

Woah! I was about to buy my first bambu printer and was just reading the reddit randomly to see what issues it has and this popped up… I sell lots of things with ironing+lettering and just assumed it would be able to do it like cura does. I might hold off buying a printer until this is implemented as it’s going to be my main use for it… :scream:

2 Likes

Agreed! Ran into this today, funny enough. So yes, we need this feature! This would make my life a whole lot easier.

yes - struggling with this exact issue

Yes - that would be a very useful function for me too! I’ve been looking for a solution all the time and there doesn’t seem to be one.

Please!!! This has been driving me CRAZY! I need to print 1200 signs for the university i work at and I have on idea what i’m going to do. Prusaslicer doesn’t have this issue but it wont let you print multicolor so barring finding some other slicer (I’ve tried Orca and it has the same issue) I seem to be screwed. Adding left/center/right alignment would save me hours of time as well.

Prepping for people calling me dramatic, we have to use a shiny silk filament (that’s what got approved by committee) and it leaves streaks every time it has to stop and start so even if i don’t use ironing it looks bad. So i really am running out of options fast.

Use adaptive layers, or use height range modifier- manually reduce the layer heights at juuuust the tip- set a bunch of solid top layers.

Or, get your flow right. I use 3 .2 top layers and ironing @25ish% flow and get amazing tops

Totally agree. It completely messes up the top surface for the print head to be stopping and switching directions. It’s as if the slicer was possessed. Just print a nice smooth top layer, then start printing text on top of that smooth layer. PLEASE!

Hi, Same for me. I take it there’s no work-around at the minute?

This has also been an issue for me, though I think you would get more support if you changed the title to ‘beneath embossed text’ as “under extruded text” implies an extrusion problem.