Filament change during a print results in layer shift

I have the same problem as you without AMS, it pauses but does not change the filament :frowning:

Same issue here, slight layer shift after filament change. it is frustrating as it happened after 23 hours into a print and I still have almost 7 hours to go and the model is quite complex - will need some bondo and sanding and a lot of patience I guess. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Iā€™m new to this, donā€™t have an AMS on my X1C, and have only tried two manual filament changes.

The first time, I used ā€œAdd Pauseā€ at the correct layer with Bambu Studio, and the new color shifted a bit in both X and Y directions.

Did some searching here and found an alternative suggestion from @Thrawn (I think).

Instead of the default pause, I used ā€œAdd Custom G-codeā€ with these commands:

M400 U1 ;pause
G28 X ;home

My second print was perfectly aligned.

It probably wonā€™t help unplanned or automatic filament changes with the AMS, but seems to be good for manual changes.

You can also feed in the new filament via manual extrude. Itā€˜s the ā€žloadā€œ function, which is the reason for the layer shift problem.

1 Like

look into custom code from EukaDesigns. (sorry canā€™t link things here)

use this code and put into ā€œChange Filament G-codeā€ section in your printer setting. And use the change filament function on the slicer. It works beautifully for me. This is a perfect workaround for now.

Yo no lo he solucionado con el codigo sigue igualā€¦

Todays firmware-update solves the issue, now there is no layer-shifting after filament-change.

I would like to know what is the change at your end to align with the new firmware update so I can follow up properly? Thanks!

Are you 100% sure? I am on the latest firmware (01.05.02.00) and just had a layer shift after filament runout today.

Iā€™ve tested it several times the day, the FW was released, and every attempt was a success. Since then i didnā€™t have the need to use it.

1 Like

Interesting. Iā€™ll need to test some more and possible discuss more with support.

The latest firmware for the P1P is 01.03.00.00

1 Like

Hah! Doh, didnā€™t realize this was P1P sorry. I have an X1C.

How frustratingā€¦ a year later and itā€™s still there.

1 Like

I just opened a ticket with Bambu Lab on Github because I have the layer shift issue, but mine is with a brand new P1S using the AMS. I find it disappointing that this issue is 1 year old and has no solution and my 8 hour print is ruined twice.

The good news is I found the fix for my layer shifting issue and itā€™s been working perfectly since. It also isnā€™t anything more than a simple adjustment.

For me it turned out to be a belt tension issue, and since Inhad already done the belt tensioning as per the Bambu instructions I had thought it wasnā€™t an issue. There was an other poster somewhere who recommended a slightly different method and it worked.

Here is the process:

1. Turn the printer off
  2. Manually move the print head, by hand, to be in the middle of the sbuild plate
  3. Loosen but donā€™t remove the 4 belt tensioning screws at the back of the printer. These are located, inside two black squares, on the left and on the right of the back of the printer. Two screws per side. Pay attention to how tight the screws were to undo. This will give you guidance for how tight to make them after you are done. Itā€™s important not to over tighten them.
  4. Move the head 5 times, fully to the front-middle and to the back middle of the printer. It should take roughly 5 seconds from front to back for example.
  5. On the last movement, leave the head against the back wall of the printer.
  6. Tighten the 4 screws
  7. Turn the printer on and use the control panel to run a full calibration.

Thatā€™s it.

The whole process, excluding the calibration
takes less than 5 minutes.

Iā€™ve now done many filament changes and colour changes in many prints and all have been absolutely perfect.

I hope it works for you! Please let me know.

Thanks Al. Iā€™ll let you know how it goes after the adjustment. Quick question. When you move the ā€œheadā€ front to back, you are manually moving the ā€œheadā€ around correct? Not moving by the control panel?

Thanks,
Mike

My pleasure, good to help someone else - I know how frustrating it is when things arenā€™t working.

Yes, thatā€™s right, manually moving the head around. Youā€™ll just want to make sure the printer is off. Moving the head with the screws loose allows for a mechanism in the printer to rebalance itself.

Good luck!

I found another thread in this forum (Layer shifting after color change - #52 by umaiku) and the issue for my P1S was a dust cover that I had printed and installed. The linked thread shows the same issue with the same covers! I removed them and my prints are perfect again.

1 Like

Hi Andrew, i have the same issue with a brand new PS1 (latest firmware).
3D printer loses position and causes offset when changing filament during the printing process.
Were you able to fix the problem? If so, I would be grateful for any tips.

BR
Evan

1 Like