Filament keeps getting caught in the extruder

I just openned and started using a roll of silver PLA from Bambu. This roll has been giving me fits with warping, peeling of the plate, and this is the third time that it has gotten hung up in the extruder. The last time I unloaded it I could see that there were notches in it from the drive wheel (hope that is what it is called.)
I clean it up and it looks like the extruder eats up the end and it gets stuck.

Is this a bad roll of filament or is my extruder having issues. I am going to swap it out in the AM after I take the extruder apart and removed the crushed filament. I am assuming it is the PLA, but I could be wrong.
I checked, I ahve just under 900 hours of print time on this printer, I can not imagine the extruder going bad this soon.

Any suggestions on what could be the issue?

I can’t promise you this will work, but see my post about swapping to the hardened steel gear assembly. Have you done that yet? I had lots of such issues and once I swapped my stainless steel gear to the hardened steel, my printer has been running nonstop. Perhaps the extruder isn’t getting a good grip on the filament with the stainless steel gear, I don’t know.

Read this:

Thanks for the info. I have done tons of printing and only had issues with Bambu silver. I am going to clear it once again and not finish this roll. I have one more roll and probably just store it.
If I continue to have issues, maybe I will think about a hardened steel gear. Is this a Bambu or third party part?

I also did some thinking back. it only appears to happen when I stop the print in the middle.
When this silver had issues, I would stop the print. it was after stopping mid print it would have issues. I wonder if somehow heat travels up into the extruder and softens it up enough to have the wheel leave marks in it so when it hardens, it can not spin.

hmmmmmm just a thought

This is what is happening to the filament when I stop the print

It is a Bambu product see Hardened Steel Extruder Gear Assembly | Bambu Lab US

I saw your follow up post with the picture of the silver filament when you stop the print. It does look like the gear is chopping up that filament. I can’t say whether the hardened gear would help in this case, but the hardened steel does get a better grip on the filament and so it might help. I’d recommend swapping yours out in any case based on my own experience.

I have a wham bam hotbox around this printer. I filed a support ticket and they said it is heat creep from the temp inside the hotbox being to hot. Sounds good, maybe print with one side open or the door.

Keeping the side panels opened seemed to have resolved the problem. The internal temp was too hot and was causing heat creep into the extruder.

Seeing same issue here but much bigger blob

Is your printer in an enclosure? Mine was so I opened the door and it resolved the problem.

The regular P1S enclosure that comes with it. Our destroyed itself. The blob broke the head cover and cracked the extruder. ANybody want an expensive paper weight :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.