Filament oozing from nozzle

hi all!
i have my p1p since one month and have printed some parts with success.
now since i have decided to upgrade to hardened steel nozzle + extruder i am experiencing problems.
before all was good with standard .4 nozzle, now i have switched to .6 hardened steel.

what doesn’t work: filament is leaking a lot from the nozzle even when it’s not supposed to extrude.

• before the start of the print it burns through something like 3 cm, then the nozzle is cleaned, then oozes some more and does the bed leveling test with 1-2 cm of filament attached
  • creates a lot of stringing even during easy prints

does anyone have some suggestion on how to tackle this?
i’m using softfever/orcaslicer, i can provide screenshots of all settings just let me know what might be relevant :slight_smile:

I’m not using Orca, but maybe you can set your retract values higher to avoid this?

Bigger nozzles have an higher tendency for oozing. Nevertheless, as you are using orcaslicer I suggest to print the temp-tower (under calibration) and may print the newly introduced retraction calibration test from Orca.

I think there are multiple factors causing the ooze. I had the same problem when I switched to the .6 nozzle.
I have switched back because I found out that the process profile for the .6 nozzle is very generic and not tuned. My guess is that lack of tuning does not provide the correct retraction and other settings to prevent oozing. The .4 nozzle profiles are very well tuned for the best out-of-the box experience.

I have tried the temperature and retraction tests in soft fever. putting temperature at 210 degrees seems to be slightly better but retraction one is terrible…

I’m not even sure what settings to try to change, anyone can advise?

I just watched a video about filament drying. On the before test there was a lot of stringing. After drying the filament there was almost none. I have no idea it that is your issue.

1 Like

shouldn’t be as it is a very new filament, however I will try to dry it as well!
any other possible suggestion? anyone has experience on the settings for 0.6 hardened nozzle? or do I need to change something since switching from regular to hardened extruder?
all was going well with stock extruder and 0.4 stainless steel nozzle

Sometimes new filament can have a high moisture content. It just depends on where it was made, how long it has been in stock, and how well the bag it ships in keeps out moisture.

If you have a different new spool you could try that and see if it has different results.

seems like other people are also having issues after changing the extruder to hardened, will try to revert it and see if the problem goes away.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BambuLab/comments/1235uup/p1p\_hardened\_steel\_extruder\_gear\_issues/

1 Like

Only on PAHT CF, a lot of oozing. Before, betweed and after the print. Dried the filament, tried temperatures from 250-290.

Printing on Bambu A1.

Please help!

I tried to reduce printing time by using a 0.6mm nozzle, but there is a lot of blotting.
I tried with PLA.
Is it more difficult to hold the melted filament in the nozzle because the hole is larger and the surface tension is weaker?

Right now I am using the 0.4mm nozzle and increasing the line width except for the top surface and walls to save time.

Same here. It was not oozing yesterday but today. I am using PETG Basic

Is there filament leaking out when the print ends?