Filament retracting faster than spool spins

HI All.

I got my new X1C with AMS a few days ago.
The X1C is great, but AMS is giving me some trouble. One of them is that sometimes when retracting the fillament the spool is rotating too slow and the fillament ofcourse gets all tangled on the sides.

How does the retraction works? I guess if the spool is almost full it should rotate slower than if it is almost empty? Is this a known issue?

Yes I use plastic spools, happenes with different ones.

Anything else I can check/do?

Thanks

1 Like

The AMS have no clue if the spool is empty or full. It can only measure the filament speed. Appart that I don’t yet really understand how it manage the spools speed.

1 Like

I agree. It is just spinning at some speed. But it is obviously too slow for an empty spool. Or is this just my case?

I never had such problem, maybe a problem with your spools slipping, or not well set in place or the feeders have a default.

Maybe try to see if it is the case of all feeders with the same spool, and try different spools on the same feeder. To have a little more datas.

1 Like

Thanks. Will try to find some pattern

1 Like

I am having the same issue, but just with the first filament-slot… the print is still going on, but with a lot of pauses… I am printing a 6+ days multi-colour print. (+55MB step-file so I did not upload it… but see pictures… (HOW TO INCLUDE PICTURES?)
Very frequently the first filament-slot gets jammed, when the filament is removed back from the extruder. It seems the filament is pushed back, but the spool is not fast enought and stops in the process. The filament then is spreading inside the housing and can then jam the next spool, when pulled back. Then this screen warning is shown: “failed to pull back the filament to AMS. Please check whether the filament or the spool is stuck. After trouble shooting, click the retry button” I DO NOT GET A MESSAGE ON THE PHONE WITH A WARNING-TONE (but this would be very helpful!) The print pauses and the filament then has to be respooled manually. The print then continues with great quality (I love this printer…) But i still need help. The print is still going on and I helped myself with those stickers inside the AMS-cover (cannot upload video) to keep the filament on track. But it still jams frequently. Any help is apprechiated… thanks Bambulab-Community…! I just love my printer…

I seem to recall someone had this issue and they printed an insert for the center hole of the reel that they put some weight in. A bit of a hack but they said it worked perfectly.

I’m off the board for today, but I’ll see if I can dig it up on Printables tomorrow if someone doesn’t beat me to it! :grin:

EDIT:
Found it and several more. Thangs.com has a “Related Models” tab, very handy when you’re looking for something and don’t remember the exact one. Also has a great Search that looks at all the major 3D print model boards. Here’s a Related Search on what I was talking about:
Printables

Some hold batteries for weight, some hold desiccant.

Respool to another spool.

Some spools slip.

1 Like

True, 'dat!

Sometimes, particularly when the filament is old or has absorbed moisture, the little stub in the center of the reel snaps off and the filament freewheels on the hub.

1 Like

Thank you for all the ideas. I will try the weigth increase because of the other issue (lifting the spool when loading the filament)

I am experiencing this very issue with my 2 day old AMS unit.

All my spools are brand new and full but I often get experience the spool not spinning fast enough to take up the slack.

It happens on all slots and the spools do not appear to be slipping.

I will try the weighted insert idea and report back

I found that my brand new AMS with BL filament spools, were binding up on retraction and it boiled down to the cover of the AMS contacting the spools.
BL branded filament + BL AMS and they don’t clear eachother.

My only solution is to prop the lid of the AMS open and my problem disappeared.

Sad that it’s on a brand new machine with the included manufacturers filament, but there was less than <1mm clearance between the spool and lid and it will catch since the spools aren’t perfectly round.

I have had this problem when the bobbin diameter approaches 202mm which doesn’t fit in the AMS even though Bambu says it will. If it is close to jamming it slows down the bobbin speed.

Mine is definitely not jamming.

I was also wondering if it is normal for the motor to sound if it is straining on retraction.

Me to have this problem just on first fidder. And all spool (original and non original) has this issue