Filament roll too wide/large for AMS

Hi there!
I recently upgraded from an Ender3 & Sovol IDEX to the awesome X1C with the AMS.
Having a blast printing almost 24/7 again!

Only problem/challenge I have, is that I have a lot of filament spools that are too wide (~75-77mm) for the AMS to use. There’s also not really that much room to attach these to the backside of the printer. I’ve considered respooling, but I also heard people are using filament drying units to print from!
Another option would be to make a custom filament holder to fit larger rolls.

I was wondering, what are your experiences using off-brand spools (in my case: 123-3D housebrand) on the X1C AMS combo?

Thanks!

Next to my 2 AMS units, for wider spools, I’m relying also on a couple of dual spool Sovol filament dryers ( https://amzn.eu/d/7ZZOJ5m). To the date it worked out great. I’ve also made a a couple of custom spool holders ( plenty of choices on Printables- Printables) for 2kg or more spools, that i don’t use very often but are available just in case i need them. I’m also in the process of making myself a spool rewinder (Printables) so that I can rewind some spools of filament that I would rather use the AMS when printing.
See if anything I’ve mentioned here might help solving your problem.

1 Like

Hydra pro is your answer. It’s a community mod that allows the use of wider and larger diameter spools.

1 Like

How do you like the performance of the Sovol filament dryer?
There are too much brands too choose from, lol.
Did you buy/print any other adjustments to connect it directly? Maybe the Y-splitter or these tubing connectors?

I chose Sovol for the dual filament option for a reasonable price. Advantage : drying while feeding the filament to the printer. As spliter I’ve made myself and inspired from this one 4路分流器 the perfect 4 way splitter by asianlth - MakerWorld, which has been working great for me.
I’ve also replaced the stock layout AMS in one of my units with the Hydra Pro (Printables), for the same reason, but I still rely more on the Sovol feeding, as it allows for continuous drying when needed.

See if anything I’ve mentioned here might help solving your problem.

There are a few respoolers on makerworld along with bambu spools if that would be of interest to you
plus id like to ask whats the would difference be between a filament dry box and a small blow heater in a box ?

Portability and multiple uses in one single item, such as drying, filament feeding and storage, to point out a few. I’m not sure if the blow heater box could provide the same uses, given that I’ve never used one before. In the end it’s just a matter of personal choice, price and availability.

1 Like