Firmware to disable panda/Xtouch LCD screens

It is the case. The developer of the Xtough discord page spells it out . BIGTREETECH made a sugar coated video about it but they emailed customers with a little more direct language , offering refunds and changing the warranty exempting them from liability due to bambu firmware changes.If these products altered or interfered with the printers firmware in any way I would have no interest in it but it dosnt. The Xtouch uses the same encrypted communication scheme as the handy app in the Lan only mode. Bambu wasnt doncerned with it in the 9 months it was in the wild, they could have done an API 9 months ago but they didnt

Why can you not listen to reason? Multiple very knowledgeable people in this thread have clearly explained why this is a non issue yet you continue to act like Chicken Little and cry that “The sky is falling!”.

3 Likes

Big tree went way further with theirs, you can upload a stl on it and send it to 20 printers at once bypassing the check on g code for each machine to make its correct. This is prob the main reason bambu dose not like it. Xtouch on the other had just used that same item the app has so there is zero issues. From the interviews with the CEO and Joel, “3dprintingnerd” it was just the lack of communication big tree showed that was concering. But now it all has the green light. They made it clear it wont be shut down and you can use your printer how you want. I mean we even have 2 3rd party hot ends now, bambu opening their door just a bit and its great

Sure. You totally disregard the logical answers that people have given you and then reply with more of the same nonsense while accusing others of not adding anything to the discussion, while doing exactly what you are saying others are.

You refuse to accept reality, don’t understand how your purchase of a Bambu printer is on their terms, not yours, and whine about the results.

Attempt to insult me all you want, it just makes you look even more out of touch.

No we are dealing with facts and statments from the company. Your dealing in speculation.

Facts are they said this was not happening

Sorry not into conspiracy theories of sinister plots
Bambu has not betrayed the trust its earned, they are super upfront and honest why would they lie now

I am very close to ordering an X1C. (Just concerned there might be an X2 around the corner).
But, if there were to be some blocking activity like what has been discussed here, that would be the straw that killed the deal. Forever.
I am very very concerned about purchasing a closed system that could become a large paper weight anytime Bambi decides to turn off the servers. For whatever reason. Or make some third party add-on not work! If they don’t like a screen or other third party add-on connected to their systems ( By “their” I mean their design. If I purchased it, it is “my” system).
They only need to design a better screen or add-on for a better price.

Bambi needs to inspire confidence in their stability and acceptance of innovation, both theirs and others, not step on it.

2 Likes

All of Bambu’s printers are capable of operating just like every other 3d printer for the past 10 years. The cloud services aren’t a requirement, and you’re fully able to use a SD card just like you’ve always been. There’s nothing locking you into using Bambu Studio either.

4 Likes

is an iPhone your device? People buy bambu stuff. they know pretty much exactly how things are working. cloud stuff. and some company or a freelancer makes some addons, that might get blocked in the future and users start crying that its their right to use some unofficial addons and that devices are their property…yes, it is your device and it should be used according to manufacturer. If you dont like it, move along, this is not a product that was envisioned to be moded and customised, this is an iPhone of priting world.closed system that just works. yes, there will always be some 3rd party addons, but you can forget about support, updates, warranties and other luxuries that you received when you bought their printer and agree to use it according to manufacturers license agreement. having both worlds will not work, especially for OEM. if for some reason they do kill the servers, lan mode and off you go. there is so much missinformation and paranoia around here…

I can agree with your message, but there’s one thing that tends to bother me in these comparisons. Often, people say when it comes to Bambu products, “look at Apple, Apple does the same,” and similar statements. The issue with these comparisons is that they only consider that Apple builds proprietary devices and operates with closed-source practices. No one thinks to compare Apple’s support with Bambu’s support, to see how accessible Apple products and components are, or how long it’s been since filament has been available on the Bambu shop. They overlook factors like Apple’s long-standing existence, the fact that Apple doesn’t operate under Chinese laws, etc. When comparing something, let’s not just base it on what supports our argument but thoroughly examine it from all perspectives.

1 Like

I’ve built the xtouch, with small usb power bank, and printed case. Total cost, about 20gbp, pluse a few hours. No big expense. It does more or less what I want. I run Bambu Studio on my w11 pc. I can control everything from my Android phone by running Microsoft’s RD client on the phone, (it’s on the playstore) - but it’s all a bit small for using as touch screen, it’s far more useable on a cheap android 10 inch tablet, and afaik on a fire tablet. I see no need for the Panda unit. Not saying that others don’t have a need for it, but there is always a way around a perceived problem.

They said what was not happening? Or do you mean they didn’t say what you feel like they should have said? You don’t make sense dude.

1 Like

Again. Naps being naps and getting away with it.

Your concerns has been answered 2 years ago in this post on what will happen if they go belly up

so don’t spread anxiety:)

i just picked up a p1s combo alittle over a month ago an first thing i got was the panda touch when it was released an have been loving it. ive been messing with printers for a good while at this point an the p1s was the 20+ printers that ive purchased an is the 14th added to my print setup. i had always put off buying bambu printers cause i was more interested in the open source side an bambu labs was the opposite of that but i decided id give one a try with how easy the multicolor looked with the ams so i got the p1s and the ams combo an at first i was a bit lost with bambu studio but within a weeks time i wish i could use it with all of my printers so they did good with bambu studio an the printer has been solid an i had decided that i would start selling off some of my other machines an replacing them with other bambu machines, i was going to try a couple a1 bed slingers an a couple more p1s an a x1c but if they are going to actively go out of there way to stop allowing other companys an even the community its self with the xtouch, only reason i didnt do the xtouch was cause i was able to buy the panda touch within a could weeks after getting the printer so i held off an spent more money buying the panda touch, now i wish i wouldn’t have but i will say the replacing my old machines with bambu labs machine will not happen an i’ll be trying prusas new corexy an there multicolor setup cause im not supporting a company that is going to actively waste the money i spend cause it wasn’t spend on through them, u know what if they offered a display for the p1s that done the same thing as the xtouch or panda touch i would have bought it but instead there just going to put a stop to anyone else being able to make money from it cause that seems like when it became the problem. xtouch had been out for a while an no issue but as soon as big tree tech puts the panda touch up for sell they decide to do it and then claim its for security, BS! this is what makes what otherwise would be a good company that could dominate the market but all because they want allow users to make there own setups better an share it just undercuts there own user base. this really upsets me. i had planned on getting a couple more ams for my p1s but now i dont even want to spend that money. is this something that has been confirmed by bambu labs, i dont see what the benefit of big tree tech and the x touch would be to lie about getting something like this from bambu an would in my opinion only hurt any relationship they might have. i had planned on buying my nozzles an all that from bambu lab an even buying my filament through them with the discount i was getting after buying my p1s but im going to look at that revo nozzle now an see how that works out on it. really hate seeing something like this. if they do go through with it causing these displays not to work with updated printers then ill def not be buying another bambu lab printer an i’ll be pissed they are willing to ■■■■ me out of 60 bux that they didnt even get so just make it feel like dealing with a jealous gf or something. hope they change there mind an dont go against the community just trying to make there setups their own.

2 Likes
  1. holy ■■■■ that is the longest run-on sentence I’ve ever seen.
  2. They haven’t disabled anything
  3. It is a 3rd party device, they have zero responsibility in supporting it
  4. Getting mad over a hypothetical situation is strange. The panda works, it would take a firmware update to make it not work. BTT is keeping a list of working firmware versions on their wiki. If Bambu does release a firmware that breaks compatibility, just don’t install that update, and guess what, the panda touch will still work.
1 Like

I laughed out loud when I read Lindnjoe’s post because I was thinking the exact same thing. Wow!, that’s one long sentence… Not many periods in that one…

1 Like

You’ve not realized that Bambu is aware of the popularity of X-touch and the Panda Touch, As well, there are other devices (light control) that require MTT, I refuse to believe Bambu is actively trying to break compatability, they’ve stated otherwise.

Getting all worked up over this hypothetical situation and then pledging aligence to another brand indticates you’d be lookiing for issues no matter what. I’d say go enjoy Prusa.

Not being a prusa here, but you would better get you’re point across with fewer headaches to the reader by using paragraphs, and periods (not after the fact)

Peace.

2 Likes

This looks more in line with things needing addressing getting bumped in priority because it is becoming more popular. It’s better to get an proper API running and fix/find any big issues before to many players enter that particular market. Especially since they’ll probably break some stuff in the process (hopefully just temporarily)