First Benchy printed with Bambu Lab X1 & CHT Nozzle

I received and try the Aliexpress clones (0.4 & 0.6 mm nozzles), for now I only tried the .4mm nozzle and the results are already greats !

I tried to print same gcode that I already printed with original .4mm Bambu nozzle and I can say that it works perfectly and I got same quality and absolutly no more issues relative to height, leak or thermal runaway that I was getting with the original CHT.

Then, I tried up to 35mm³/s prints and it also works great and the heater can sustain the temperature easily (probably related to the smaller & higher nozzle size).

The 0.4mm nozzle, with 0.28 layer height enable to use 350mm/s for Inner wall, Sparse infill & internal solid infill without decrease in quality.

Another great benefit is that because heat is better transfered to the plastic, it is possible to print faster with lower temperature. Before if I wanted to print fast I had to use the highest temperature of the filament.

Important last note / downside : printing with such high flow is interresting only with a good / quality filament (esun PLA+ works great), low cost PLA introduce a lot of issues.

I will give feedback on 0.6mm nozzle later.

2 Likes

Let me know about 0.6mm as I am about to order it from aliexpress. How long did it take to come? Do you need to do any change in bambu lab?

Send links if you have them so I can be sure to order the correct ones.

Does 500C mean it will work with PEEK now?

2 Likes

This doesn’t increase the printers abililty to heat the hotend, perhaps it means the hotend would survive 500c. Since the printer is unable to reach such temperatures that’s irrelevant. It just lets you use non bambu lab nozzles.

4 Likes

As said above no it wont enable to reach 500°C, and even if you add a second ceramic heater in parallele wich is easily doable nothing is made on this printer to print at a such high temperature.

You may be able to reach 500°c but I guess you will have some parts that will began to melt and the heatbreaker wont be able to break heat enought etc… etc…

2 Likes

Good to know.

Do you just order CHT brass 0.6mm (7.99) or do you need the copper hot section ($15.99)?

1 Like

You need to buy everything depending on what you already have in spare :

Step 1 : Change the nozzle of the aliexpress hotendblock with the CHT nozzle
Step 1 : Once you get everything, for heater, thermistor, fan and grease follow this second part of this video tutorial :

I dont get why you changed the nozzle.
I mean, what performance issue did your printer have that this new nozzle solves?

3 Likes

This seems like too much work, why isn’t alibaba selling this ready made?

2 Likes

Don’t worry, I’m certain that will happen soon.

1 Like

This have two major improvments :

1 - Increase the maximum flowrate :

• using high quality filament you can print with reliably a flowrate of 35mm³/s, this for exemple enable to print between 300mm/s and 350mm/s with 0.28 layer height usingg 0.4mm nozzle
  • it make printing with 0.6mm with higher layer height (0.4mm) possible at high speed, very helpfull for fast prototyping

2 - A better transfer of heat between nozzle and plastic :

• this mean your plastic temperature is closer to what you set as printing temperature, less variations in plastic temperature related to speed change while printing
  • also, you dont have to “overheat” when you want to print faster.

Note that it have only an interrest if you use high quality filament that can support fast printing…

EDIT :

Here is an exemple about speed for 100x100x100mm cube 0.28 layer height, 0.4mm nozzle:

• Bambulab profile with bambula filament default setting 22mm³/s : total time 2h57
  • Modified profile + max flow filament 35mm³/s : total time 2h12

Last but not least “Same quality”.

Exemple of what you can set as speeds for 0.28 layer height 0.4 nozzle (right is original):

EDIT: @SULTANI

This seems like too much work, why isn’t alibaba selling this ready made?

It can be impressive if you do not do a lot of DIY but believe me that’s really easy, just require to follow carefully the video tutorial

6 Likes

I bought this clone hot end to try cheap high flow with copper insert V6 nozzles. With those nozzles the safe volumetric flow rate limit I get for for PLA is up from around 20 mm^3/s to 35 mm^3/s. That increases print speed although only significantly when using larger nozzles.

Additionally screw in nozzles are cheap and easier to change.

5 Likes

The brush mod is my favorite mod to date. No more nozzle dragging a tail of purge into the first layer. It works flawless and keeps the nozzle cleaner.

2 Likes

It can be impressive if you do not do a lot of DIY but believe me that’s really easy, just require to follow carefully the video tutorial

Why isn’t bambu selling this already? It almost reduces print time 30% with same quality. What about larger layer heights? Do they make a 0.8mm cht nozzle?

is this the complete hotend?

I am trying to see if PC FR can do 35mm³/s. Does anything go faster than 35? PLA?

interesting test but seems unnecessary. X1C is great because it doesnt need to be modified… it just works. if you wanna tinker get a voron / Ender 3

2 Likes

While it is (nearly) true for 0.4mm nozzle, it is absolutly false for bigger nozzle (0.6, 0.8), Unfortunatly Bambulab printer capabilities falldown rapidly when using such nozzles. I suppose they was in hurry and they didn’t really care about it when they start their selling.

I am convinced that they will come with higher flow rate hotend in the futur. But untill that you have to rely on those hotend clones from aliexpress. After all this is only the Bambulab V1

I am trying to see if PC FR can do 35mm³/s. Does anything go faster than 35? PLA?

Well if you use 0.8mm nozzle to make big prototype parts with 0.4/0.5 layer height, you will rapidly reach 35mm³ even at lower speeds.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m pretty sure they have more than a couple tricks up their sleeves that will make us go “Oooo! I need that”. LOL They don’t seem like they sit on their hands much, looking at their backgrounds.

How’s the new CHT nozzle setup working out? Done anything big with it?

I rarely print very big parts, but I have printed a lots of functional/tools parts and everything goes very well always using the same custom 0.28 layer height profile with all infill/inner related thing set to 350mm/s, not a revolution, just save a bit of time.

3 Likes

nothing that can contribute to optimization and further improvement is unnecessary. one is satisfied with a stock product and the other wants to improve it.

With this attitude we would have stopped at the first printers …

4 Likes

Well if you use 0.8mm nozzle to make big prototype parts with 0.4/0.5 layer height, you will rapidly reach 35mm³ even at lower speeds.

Is it necessary to buy a non bambu hot end then? Better to buy bambu as the profiles will be pre-installed. If the bambu 0.8mm nozzle printing at 0.4mm then will hit 35mm3 maximum at low speeds?

No, absolutly no, it is not necessary, you will just get less benefit of the bambulab speed, but this will works (unless you set too high your filament max volumetric flow, the printer will slow down to avoid printing with a too high flow, so no problem it will work).

1 Like