First Layer Inspection, Failing?

So I’ve had issues with the “First Layer Inspection” for quite some time now and always come across talking about it and thinking of the feature from time to time.

I’ve since noticed it started to occur ever since version 01.06.00.00 (20230801) but they’ve addressed it being solved (currently looking for it within the wiki)

So the phenomenon is (ill attach video soon) after scanning the first layer, it’ll park over the purge chute then wipe and resume printing but it’s as if the nozzle pressure build up is to extreme. Because the moment it starts extruding it’s always a large blob which causes a failure because when the head comes around again for the walls it hits the blob lifting that section.

I’ve tried all types of configurations and went to submit a ticket awhile back which lasted 5 months on back and forth of taking videos and running their test prints only to get no where until this day… (i could post a photo of the support ticket with timestamps)… I was told it was fixed but it still happens.

Basically I wanted to see if anyone else has encountered this or even noticed. If you’re using first layer inspection watch the nozzle as it resumes after scanning and see if it extrudes a blob or even normal layer and if possible could you post a short video? I’d love to send to support to show them what it’s supposed to be like and how it was before I updated firmware and it’s been a permanent issue so I’ve had it disabled since which sucks because it used to be a nice peace of mind feature now redundant and causes more harm than good.

Thank you in advance!

Waiting to see your video, but this sounds like a clog/obstruction. I highly doubt this has anything to do with firmware or the slicer if they are the latest versions.

The following may be worth trying:

1. Try a different hotend, preferably a spare 0.4mm that has never been used, with BL PLA, standard settings, and select bed levelling and calibration at the start of printing.
    Fixed: clogged nozzle/hotend
    Not fixed: perhaps further up the extruder - check the extruder

2. If there is no spare, unused hotend, then thoroughly unclog and clean the hotend:
    Clear nozzle with the cleaning wire
    Feed filament manually from the top
    Pull filament out the top and see if debris comes out with it
    Detailed Instructions:
    a. Bambu Lab X1 Maintenance Recommendation | Bambu Lab Wiki
    b. Nozzle/Hotend Unclogging Procedure for X1 | Bambu Lab Wiki

Desperate Measures…

• If a large blob is still pushed out when printing layer 2 starts, check feed restrictions, although it doesn’t sound like that. If an AMS is being used, try print directly from an external spool and see if that’s anything different.

• Check the PTFE tubes for any sign of filament jamming - unlikely though.

1 Like

How dry is your filament? Moisture in the filament can cause this.

Also double check to make sure you have the correct nozzle selected in the machine menu.

2 Likes

This was first theory. I don’t typically reach out to forums or groups unless I’m at an end all step in troubleshooting. So at this point it’s been far to long and have attempted every possible solution I could think of to solve this but something is mechanically wrong or firmware related.

This is also occuring in a climate controlled setting so humidity/temps shouldn’t be a factor. Filaments are dried to spec/feed out of dryers as well.

I’ve tried numerous nozzles so that’s been ruled out. I haven’t tried the external feed yet so that’s one ill try and get back to you on.

PTFE’s are good since this isn’t an issue when it comes to having (FLi) not active works after added pauses or resuming prints.

Thank you for help

Some video would help assist with diagnosing this.

Sorry I didn’t post, currently at work so I’ll do it once I get home.

ProtoSpyre
Try contacting your printer manufacturer’s technical support. They may offer troubleshooting instructions or give you tips on how to best set up your printer.
Try searching for communities or forums related to your specific printer. Perhaps other users have encountered a similar problem and can share their tips or solutions.