First Stage Feeder - fails to detect filament

I’m having a bunch of bad luck with my AMS first stage feeders - they don’t detect filament insertion or removal.

even a brand new AMS had a first stage that would not detect filament removal. it detects filament upon insertion, but not removal. the led light stays lit. a reboot of the Bambu X1C allows new filament to be detected again, but only once until reboot.

my other AMS, which had been used for a couple of weeks, had 3 of the 4 filament sensors fail to detect filament too. a couple detect insertion but not removal, one would not detect insertion or removal. the one that would not detect removal or insertion, the light stays lit and a reboot will not fix it.

cleaning doesn’t fix it.
is this common?

i got a replacement first stage feeder, and notice the filament sensor on the funnel is different; you can see the black sensor area on the new funnel.

Doesn’t seem common from observation, but not unheard of. That you have the problem in several feeders is odd. One can buy just the sensor board for a lot less than the whole feeder, though replacing it is much more of a pain.

1 Like

could someone test this for me? (i’m afraid to try it)

have the AMS loaded with filament.
pull filament 1 out, then put it back in.
while it is being loaded (moves back and forth a bit), pull out filament 2 - see if the removal was detected. then put it back in and see if insertion was detected. repeat down the line.

i did this while checking which feeder was bad and i fear it could have caused the issue. this is how i detected my brand new AMS had a broken feeder #2. i didn’t try it further.

2 Likes

When you look straight down at the AMS feed tube are the brass gears below the feed funnel in line with the filament ?

Also might have something going on with the wiring or connection that plugs in the side of the feeder assemblies (could be at the feeder itself or the board in the back)

1 Like

everything looks fine. even a brand new AMS first filament removal (slot #2) failed to detect removal (light stays on, insertion doesn’t trigger movement) - reboot resets it.

i just got the new versions of the funnel with updated filament sensor. i’ll see if those are reliable. if so, i’ll have to replace all 8 of them eventually (now 5 out of 8 are bad)

Started experiencing this. First month was fine but now if I want to load new filament I have to power cycle the printer.

Thanks for mentioning the power cycle. I had the problem with my second print and finely out of frustration cycled the power. Good to know I’m not alone if it has to be done again while still under warranty.

For what it’s worth it hasn’t done it to me in a while.

I can’t confirm but I’m slightly suspicious it may be related to brown outs. I don’t swap filament often but I believe we had a brown out between each time i had loaded filament and the next time it wouldn’t load filament. Strange that it would only seemingly affect rfid reading.

If you continue to have problems and have a UPS laying around I would try putting the printer on the UPS and see.