Gaps in layer after pausing to insert drop in nut

I’m currently trying to print a part that has 4x M3 hex nuts in. I sliced the file and added a pause on the layer to drop in the nut. however I always get gaps in the layers imediately after resuming the print. - I have tried keeping the nozzle at printing temp and haven’t had any success. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Is the hole for the nut deep enough so that the nozzle does not scrape on the top of the nut? When you install the nut, is it a loose fit or do you have to push it in with some force?

2 Likes

the hole is deep enough but only by about a layer, I have to push the nut in with some force but not alot. You think this is causing the issues?

Yep, I don’t know what your layer height is but pressing down on the bed might indeed change its position–To the tune of several layer heights. I would make the nut recess larger for a drop in fit.

1 Like

I don’t think pressing down would have this much of a gap as the stepper motor is still on and prevent moving but it’s always not ideal to need force to fit and as Ken mentionned it is best to give it some slack and if not put you hand below the bed to conteract. But given that it is just at the nut location (I think), i’m pretty sure it’s the nozzle rubbing. The bottom of the hole is never perfect and leaving only 1 layer above the size of the nut, assuming your 100% sure of the nut thickness is really thin, I always leave 2 or 3 layers above my inclusion, nut or magnet to be sure.

But it can be a very different cause, the wall may be very thin around your nut and more importantly pushing on the nut can leave some oil skin on that very wall preventing the next layer to adhere properly in addition to the fact that the previous layer was very cool at that point plus the nut that is certainly cool as well. I would increase the wall thickness slightly, use glove to insert the nut or use a screw in the nut that you’ll uncrew after installing it.

There’s your problem most likely.

1 Like