Gentle exhausting during print?

I’m not sure how much this would impact printing, but I often find the room to smell when printing ASA or ABS.

Part of the attraction to the H2 (or any heated machine) is that, being sealed, you should have a better experience and increased safety.

I would like to see the chamber exhaust set to ~10% during toxic/irritating prints, something low enough the heaters could overcome and maintain chamber temperature, but enough to ensure negative pressure. I use the external port to duct the fumes away, but it is not just for lasers.

I don’t envision opening the inlet, I envision keeping the printer sealed tight while drawing a small amount out.

I appreciate the post-printing chamber clearing that was suggested and then added, and I think this would be a further step in the same direction.

No, you lose too much heat

It kinda seems like I need something even less than the main exhaust fan. Like a hot-end fan sort of deal, 150 mw of exhaust.

Maybe a small leak on the recirculatory fan could work, then dump that into the main outlet.

You only need a miniscule amount of negative pressure to satisfy this. I think even 10% on the stock ventilation fan would be too much. I was playing around with gcode settings to run it even with heating mode engaged and it didn’t seem to do squat.

I messed around with a 120mm fan and found the chamber was still able to maintain temperature, and I couldn’t detect a hint of the ASA I was printing, but I haven’t yet verified it’s actually drawing anything through the printer.

More work needed no doubt to see what we can pull off as users who don’t like styrene poisoning and the like. I’ve had it. You don’t want it.

I guess my real question is how slow can you run the exhaust fan, and is THAT both enough to help (anything would help), and not monkey up some prints.

I’d certainly be willing to turn it off for super challenging prints, but a lot of stuff would be improved for easy parts I just want heated but not to inhale.

My printer is next to an open window with an in window exhaust fan.

yes but I would intend an extractor for the room, like the 200 mm in my actual one, that let me smoke indoor. passive smoke is terrible even if it’s your own :joy: in the printer’s room upstairs I just keep it sealed and when everything’s ended, I keep breath and I open the window, then I walk away where the air is clean before restart breathing again.

The concept is a small exhaust out of an existing ducted vent already in place for laser cutting would create negligible flow and not effect the part.

The question isn’t how can you hold your breath to ignore the fumes we all agree are there. The question is can a small change to how the printer is programmed prevent the fumes in the first place.
By the way: I HAVE an extractor in the closet that the printer is on, sucking in volumes of hot air into the house, and still not doing as good a job as I would like. It seems a small, small fan or flow rate could help.

I have been considering taping over more of the gaps in the machine as well.

I don’t envision opening the inlet, I envision keeping the printer sealed tight while drawing a small amount out. Thanks for the mental pushback, I will add this to the original post.