Gradients as colors

Purges, be it to a tower or the chute, are there to insure exact overpasses between spools, preventing color bleed. But what if the gradient, created by not purging, is something desired; and not just for smooth overpasses, but as a constant (to the extent possible) new color, running for multiple layers. Real color fuse is naturally achieved by mixing extruders⁽¹⁾⁽²⁾ – but wouldn’t a similar effect be possible with the automatic material system, by rapidly switching back and forth between 2 different colors without purging? Do wonder how consistent such a gradient will be, but is this something achievable?

3 Likes

Posted this question also on Palette’s forum and got a positive answer. Maybe someone with AMS could try this out and report back.

I’ve just started a print with 6 changes between two colours and zero flush or purge. Will report back

3 Likes

Curious to see your results @GuyH77 . My guess is that the gradient isn’t going to be very consistent, but that’s a guess.

Did it work? Or did it fail? :crazy_face:

Inquiring minds want to know!

(Dang I’m old…)

Hi all, sorry I forgot to come back to this. I printed an articulated dragon. I used the paint feature to switch colours at certain layer heights. White and blue pla the filaments. It printed fine with next to no noticeable bleed as the colours changed. I did have purge to infill selected which may be a big reason.

I may try similar using my own test pattern, the tower should work well. I can try with 4 colours when I get chance…

https://www.printables.com/model/318506-bambu-lab-ams-test-prints-16-colours

I would assume that 6 filament changes are not enough for a consistent gradient. For a very narrow print a change on every layer may be towards something interesting, but with some width a filament change would likely be needed literally all the time. I don’t know how filament changes are handled in Bambu’s software, but in Palette’s case the shortest splice length is 3 cm.

1 Like

I had the same thought but I am not looking for a rapid change to get a consistent gradient. I would like to see periodic color changes without purging or flushing because I want the color transition in the print. This would allow the AMS to produce the rainbow filament effect with greater user control.

I had been thinking the same thing, just never tried it. Would need to change the print order to outer wall first on the “Quality” tab.