Has anyone tried replacing the XY motors with different ones yet?

Curious if anyone has tried to replace their XY motors with aftermarket ones from a company like LDO. After owning the X1C for several months now, I’m near convinced the VFA’s are caused by poor quality motors.

As long as you picked motors that could run at the same stock current (1.2A), it would be a mostly drop-in replacement. I’m alsmost tempted to try myself at this point.

1 Like

I didn’t try or plan to, but besides, the current shouldn’t match all other specs, e.g. voltage, size, rotor length, step resolution, and torque… otherwise, you need to tinker with the hardware and edit the control code. Or am I wrong?

2 Likes

HI!

Any news ?

Did you exchange them ?

As you have already written, the technical data on the dimensions and the electrical data must match. There is certainly some leeway in the length of the shaft. Otherwise there are no problems. You just have to find a replacement type. Replacement type also means that not all data must match 100%, but only to the extent that you can exchange the replacement for the original. The motor should also have the same number of steps per revolution.

If the replacement part is, in layman’s terms, “too weak” compared to the original, you would have to reckon with step losses. If the replacement part draws too much current compared to the original (i.e. the electrical data differs too much), you risk destroying the driver. If the number of steps does not match, however, you would have to change something in the software.

Have a nice Day!

So basically you can replace the motors with other motors of the exact same technical specs.

If you did… What exactly did you “fix”?

3 Likes