Help with ASA corners/edges

I’m having trouble with edges/corners with ASA. I’m using the Bambu ASA on a P1S with Orca Slicer.

My first attempt to print this turned into a stringy/blob of a mess. I turned down the Temp, cooling fan and print speeds and currently getting below. Also PLA part for reference.

Here are current print settings.

Look at your speed in the preview screen and see what it is showing.

Do you have 2 or 3 wall loops.

The ( slow printing down for better layer cooling ) will change speed on wall loops used.

I don’t have a P1S, but I did print ASA on my A1 Mini as a test.
I printed 3 files without any issues.

I also don’t use Orca, I use Bambu Studio & Cura.

I used my SV06 to mainly print ASA, so I just used the same settings on the A1 Mini.

Hotend: 255*
Bed: 95* or you can try 100*.
Fan: 0 (off, do not use.)
Brim: 10 lines.
Speed: 60 on the SV06 & 300 on the A1 Mini.

Hope this helps you.

Speed is about 44 mm/s. Looks like 2 wall looks and 1 infill.

I don’t know your full printer setup but try printing this part with the walls print order = outer/inner and see if you have any luck :crossed_fingers:

Thanks, I already have Outer/Inner/Infill set.

When in doubt, dry it out.

Moisture can be a particular problem where the head is moving slowest, as it is going around the thin edge.

I use the generic ASA preset, tweaked a bit after running OrcaSlicer calibrations that only slightly modified flow rate and pressure advance, and boosted maximum flow rate to 50 mm³/s. Kept the nozzle temp at 270°C, bed at 90°, and left the cooling alone. Works well with both Polylite and Inland ASA.

Can you change the design any and round the whole edge off ?

You could try a draft shield around the part but you will have to make your own; it’s not an option in the Ocra or BS slicer yet.

Cut the part down with the slicer and see if you can print a short half pipe so you don’t use alot of filament up but as you already know that sharp edge is going to be the tricky one with asa.

So the design changed to the following. It printed like a bench laying on it’s side. This gave good results. I think it was a combination of design and settings. Running a different ASA part I had issues with also. Will see how that one ends up.

Hi @lion7718
I stumbled across this message while researching the capabilities of the A1 Mini (without AMS)…

I am very motivated to acquire the A1 Mini (without AMS) as my first printer and what is holding me back is not being able to print ASA and/or ABS.
But I understand from your message that the bed can go beyond 80°?
And that you’ve managed to print materials such as ABS and ASA?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

No, the bed can’t go past 80*. I just used Elmer’s Purple glue to hold it down.

I’ve printed small models, things under 2 hours, so far without any issues.
Here is another post I made: Enclosure ideas - #26 by lion7718

I was just testing to see if it was possible…which it is…but results will very for every users home/room conditions.

Good luck, post back with your results.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your very quick reply!