Help with problem print

HI all,

I’m looking for advice on how to fix a printing issue with a larger print on my P1P. I’m printing with Overture PETG, fairly standard settings except 265C nozzle temp. I cannot seem to get the Top layers to print well. Everything else seems to be printing great (bottom layer and the layers in between). But when it gets to the top layer it goes a bit wrong. (see photo).

No aux fan (as i seem to have more trouble than not with fans running). Also interesting is if i print JUST one corner of the full print, the issue does NOT show up (also shown in photo).

Could use some advice on how to approach fixing this.

Looks as though the corners are warping/curling up? then your print head drags into it.
With the cut corners, there tends to be less of that because the print isn’t as long or wide.

Confirm?

That’s what i thought at first… but if there is any warping it is very slight. When print is finished, all parts are still firmly attached to print bed, and the top looks fairly straight (when measuring with a straight edge - photo):

Have you updated to run all the latest software and firmware? It reminds me of a similar problem a guy was having last week, and that turned out to be his problem. There had been a slicer bug, which had been fixed, but he was running an old version.

I have latest firmware and latest Bambu Studio…

I’m out of ideas then. Hopefully the cavalry will join the thread sometime soon.

1 Like

2 changes and a half print.

Switched to OrcaSlicer and slowed down the top layer to 100mm/s (default is 200mm/s). Then printed just the top 3mm of the model. No issues.

That was a few variable changes, so hard to say if something is fixed and if so, what that is (Orca, slowing the top layer, or not printing full model/height). I’m going to do the full print again in Orca and at current settings. If it prints badly, that would seem to say something about the full height of the model causing issues… ?

To me it looks like too little infill % and too few top layers.

Come to think of it, I recollect something similar to the OP’s first photo when I tried going for too small a layer height (below the recommended range for a 0.6mm nozzle). What is your nozzle diameter, and what’s your layer height?

Alternatively, maybe pillowing could be a factor?

Pretty standard 0.4 nozzle with 0.2 layer height. Pillowing seems to be a possibility (new term for me).

Definitely thinking it is related to laying down the top layers on top of the infill (gyroid 15%). As @Chris1974 said also. I think this direction is worth exploring for sure. doing some test printing as i bump up the infill % (gets pretty costly to test timewise, go thru a 5 - 7 hour print just to find out if it helps)

also, i think i’m going to switch to a 0.6 nozzle… i completely forgot i had a BBL hardened steel 0.6 nozzle. it’s been a while since i’ve printed and completely forget that was my last order from them. :crazy_face: