Honeycomb Storage Wall Finally Done!

Yeah, that was what I was going to mention. I only use the .2 nozzle for my action figures and miniatures. All the others get .4 or .6.

How did you attach the grids to the wall? Does gridfinity have something?

I used M3 screws to drill into the studs when they lined up with the tiles and a spattering of anchor bolts here and there where needed depending on the amount/weight of tools/accessories I was attaching.

1 Like

Hey hey people, nice looking stuff here!
I was wondering how that Generic PLA is working out for you?

I’m kind of bored and I have to wait for any stronger filament and wanted to tinker with PLA for a small setup.

I only want to hang some really light tools on the stud here and there, I don’t want to make a big board and was wondering if a solid/high density infill PLA print would work for this test case?

I have half the mind to just hit print now seeing how well highrise’s wall turned out!

I wonder what kind of settings would be best for these…

1 Like

I have done a bunch of jobs using the “generic PLA” setting and using eSum+ and they have worked GREAT. Being in Vietnam the cost of buying BL filament is to high for much of what I am doing, once the shipment is added in.

1 Like

Generic PLA is fine. I almost exclusively use Inland PLA from Micro Center. For the Honeycomb Wall you definetely don’t need, nor want, to go with 100% infill. The tolerances are tight enough as they are and with 100% infill you will have much less flexibility to attach the necessary adapters and brackets. I kept mine at 15% with a .2 layer height. Nothing fancy.

If you want to make a smaller board with straight edges, I recommend you download this remix…

Borders for Honeycomb storage wall by Weazelbuffer | Download free STL model | Printables.com

…or print the ones I used…

Honeycomb Storage Base Grid with Borders Scalable by michelluccote | Download free STL model | Printables.com

2 Likes

15!
My finger couldn’t help but hit “Print Plate” armed with this knowledge…

How I envy those who live close to a physical Micro Center, I would be even more broke than I already am, constantly.

I’ll give your sport mode suggestion a shot too since this is mostly just for tinkering anyways!

1 Like

Living near a Micro Center is a blessing and a curse…just like a woman going into Target, I go for one or two things and leave with a cart full. :roll_eyes:

To be honest, I spent at least twice as much time (and filament) printing out all the brackets and connectors for my tools than I did on the tiles. A bit of advice, don’t go crazy printing the brackets until you are 100% sure what tools you will mount and where you will put them. I still have a basket full of brackets that I ended up not using because I didn’t do this. Oh, and find the “single hollow” pieces, and print a few dozen of them. They are used a lot. (and use at least a 5 brim as well since they are tiny and can dislodge off the plate very easily.)

Some results from the prints! Still much to do and more filament to order…

1 Like

Great start! Gets kinda addictive, doesn’t it? :smile:

1 Like

Absolutely addicting, and with your suggested settings it’s nothing but smooth sailing.

Now I just need more printers to keep up with new storage addiction…

1 Like

And more free wall space. :wink:

1 Like

What filament did you use?
I am trying to decide whether to use PLA or PETG

1 Like

I couldnt figure out openscad to make the edge pieces.

how well is it sticking to the wall with just the perimeter screwed into the drywall?

1 Like

PLA+ should be fine. I used it and it seems plenty strong

1 Like

Pla+ materials can be quite amazing. I work with several different vendor variations and all have some quite impressive attributes.

1 Like

I used PLA. If you plan on hanging a lot of heavy tools or items, then I would go with JMcFly recommendation of PLA+.

I don’t recommend PETG for the grids due to its flexibility.

Not sure why you are using openscad for any of the pieces. Can you give a link to what “edge pieces” you are referring to?

It depends on the size of the wall you are making. Mine was 60 grids so I needed to screw into the studs for a total of 16 times. 4 across and 4 down. Then I have a scattering of anchor bolts screwed into the middle, especially where I decided to attach the heavier tools.

There is really no cut and dried rule on how you attach it to the wall. It will mostly depend on the weight of the items you are hanging on it. If the grid starts to bow out at places, that’s a good sign it needs secured in that area.

Your border pieces have straight edges. There is an openscad version of the panels you can modify to do such a thing

1 Like

I ended up remixing some of the borders to fit better on the smaller quantity grids, I did see that parametric file I believe you are referencing. It was just easier for me to bring it into my DCC workflow and knock out manually. The process takes roughly five minutes or so if you are fast.

1 Like