How to change direction of the printing

ok - I may not use the right terms/words but what I have is an object where the first layer touches in 4 spots and the spaces between those 4 spots are not printed until the 3rd layer.

my issue is that the printer when doing the first layer of these areas (on overall layer 3) it goes the long way and this produces a less than desirable appearance. If it was to print the short way, it would most likely have zero issues. I have tried to rotate the item, rotate the bridge angle etc

no matter what I do the result is the same. The lines I circled are the issue.

as you can see that area is floating - though only by .4mm If it ran at 90 degrees, would most likely have zero issue. the funny part - the black banding - which is directly contacting the bed - prints at 45 degrees on the first layer.

What happens when the circled section is not floating (has support beneath)?

tried supports and that just ends up sticking to it and - its only 2 layers of a gap. hmm maybe i should try the water soluble support filament?

One layer, two layers, gap is gap. When the filament is extruded, there’s nothing below to support it and you get a spaghetti layer. The orientation of the extrusion might help, but I would be surprised if it helped enough. You need supports. If you’re printing in PLA, PETG will work and it will not stick even with the interface spacing set at 0.

Does the slicer identify that area as a “bridge”? if so, take a look at the bridging parameters in the slicer. A different extrusion speed or a higher part fan speed might help. But you’re never going to get it as good as it can be without supports.

2 Likes

Right, that could introduce other problems. However, does it resolve the direction issue?

maybe try switching to aligned rectilinear and setting infil direction to 0 ?

1 Like

no the direction did not change when I added the supports.

I understand my point is with it only being 2 layers - supports are hard to take off. if it would simply go in the other direction, this problem would not occur as the distance is drastically less. I can do this on a prusa with ease.

will try increasing the extrusion speed for this area. Thank you for the suggestion.

Support is hard to take off if it is the same base material, but if you use a material designed to be an interface between the base and support or a material that is known to not adhere to the base material well then it can peel off quite easily.

yes, I will try that as well. thank you.

One way I have had reasonable success with this type of model is to lift the whole model off the build plate by say 5mm them add supports. I also used the thin tree supports - much easier to remove and leave a smoother base.

will give that a try too in the future - thanks!

in advanced change bridge detection 90 degrees