Hydra AMS - Enhanced Bambu Lab AMS

@highrise955 I buy a fair amount of the Atomic Filaments samples and those go on pretty small spools. I can see myself buying them for smaller projects that I need a particular color for, that I don’t need a huge amount of. I think that the Hydra mod will work for me, I just wanted to hear some feedback from people who had installed it.

I used the Hydra insert for awhile. It is a really nice idea, but for me it just didn’t work right. Maybe it was something in the print itself, but I had spools that fit in the regular AMS that would rub on the lid when closed. None of the existing desiccant holders would fit - too tall. And the lever buttons (?) prevented the lid from closing. I haven’t seen others reporting these types of problems so it may have been something I did wrong.

1 Like

I have been using the Hydra conversion for a while. It works very well for me with different coils.
Only coils that are very fully wound e.g. eSun ABS+ made problems until a few meters were printed. Therefore, I currently have a combination of the two versions (with and without the lower guide fins) slot 1 to 3 I use with guide fins, slot 4 I use the version without guide fins. So I can use such (problematic) coils initially in slot 4. Later, when a few meters are used up, I can use this coil in all slots.
Since then I use only big spools (750gr to 1000gr).

Cheers WR

Any particular recommends in terms of what to print this with? Bog standard PLA, PETG, ASA or something else?

I have the small roll of CF filament that my X1 shipped with to use for something - would this be a worthwhile use (or total overkill?)

I downloaded all the files months ago but to busy with other prints on my machines (Also S1 Pro and Kobra Max).
I tried modifying my Atomic Filament rolls and didn’t like the results so will be using up older filaments to make one Hydra system for my AMS. If I can find those files how might I make them available for someone else’s use since they seem to have vanished.

Printed the 1.09 version. Had the following issues first build:
Front rollers were loose, so fillament retraction didn’t work. This was caused by only using 2 screws on the feeders, I didn’t see the inner holes at first.
RFID wasn’t working on 1 side. The cable wasn’t connected completely.
Now that’s all fixed, it works well with the Bambu spools, even RFID is working properly again, although it failed on the first role in slot 4. But it still doesn’t work with a non-Bambu spool, it doesn’t seem to get enough grip on the role. It’s plastic, not cardboard and it fits nicely without jamming.

Can this be built using the AMS lite as a base?

Welcome to the forum.

To answer your question, the AMS Lite can’t be used for the Hydra AMS.