I would not have expected this - .8mm nozzle

I needed a replacement inner shell for my lunch cooler and opted to use ABS and a .8mm nozzle, .56 layer height.

Total print time was 7h 19m.

Out of curiosity, I sliced again with a .4mm nozzle and .2 layer height expecting at least 50% longer. Nope. 7h 47m, and probably would have achieved a better finished result.

Hoping it is not a firmware glitch since I have nasty blobs at the seams and in other random areas for 20 or 30 layers. I am going to run a PA calibration in SoftFever and see if it goes away. If not, and I find that the latest firmware that I declined install got installed anyway I’m gonna be rather annoyed.

Print time is determined by more than just layer hight and extrusion width.

Layer time can have a big impact. So can other parameters…

1 Like

Damn, I wouldn’t eat my lunch out of that

1 Like

I know that there are a lot of variables, but one would think that the basics of double nozzle size and near triple layer height would result in significant reduced print times. I suppose mm3 flow rate is the ultimate decider, and it is significantly lower on the .8mm nozzle in the default settings.

wizardbynight
Damn, I wouldn’t eat my lunch out of that

Simply to keep my personal cell, granola bars, and frozen food separate.

2 Likes

Mines been blobbing a lot (i updated it a day or so ago) especially with petg. I figured its because of my almost underwater humidity level in Qld at the moment. …98% humidity…
But I too would love to know what caused that. maybe its connected?

That is most odd, I would have thought it would be a bigger difference, even accounting for layer time.

Blobbing (and stringing) is often a sign of wet filament, or wrong filament flow ratio.

Drying usually fixes it, but if you’re running 98% humidity (my condolences) you are going to have a hard time drying it.

I live in a humid place but my garage has a dehumidifier that maintains 30% or under, so I dry in there.

EDITED, Bad flow of thought … :grin:

2 Likes

The “Generic” profile for 8mm is only 13 mm3 flow and the 4mm nozzle is 18 mm3(?). I played around with the slicer settings a little (like 2 or 3 things) after the fact and was able to cut the print time significantly. I need to do a tune to find out exactly what it needs to go faster and remove those huge blobs.

My first attempt was in vase mode for the exterior only and had severe layer adhesion issues, but looked great other than the shrinking from cooling distorted the walls. I wish you could increase the wall count in vase mode.

Are you using Bambu Studio or SoftFever’s OrcaSlicer (Studio in disguise …LOL)?

SoftFever’s has Max Flowrate calibration that will find the highest flow you can do for a particular plastic. Then you change the filament’s profile and include the nozzle in the name like “MatterHacker PLA+ Red .8”.

Now you have a 1 click proper setting in the future. You might fine tune the other tests too like Flow Rate (not the same as MAX Flowrate, that’s under “More” on the Calibration menu), Pressure Advance, and Temp Tower. Together they dial in the filament / nozzle combination. Then remember to Save and rename the results.

LOL - Gotta share this - I typo’d in the last sentence on the word ‘results’ and typed ‘resluts’, an entirely different thing … :astonished: :grin:

You can’t, but you can do the same by reducing the Infill and Top layers to Zero. Then you can have as many walls as you like. As a matter of fact, the Max Flowrate test does that exact thing with two walls!

1 Like

I was having similar results printing with a .6 noz. I determined that it was a max flow issue. Bambu studio tries to do everything automatically, and sometimes falls flat on its face. Bambu studio just doesn’t have the profiles dialed in for the larger diameter nozzles yet, so you have to put the work in. It also knows the printers limiting factors, so you have to modify the hardware a little.

My solution, I got a replacement hot end that allows installation of a threaded nozzle, and installed a 0.6 CHT for better flow rates. Using Soft Fever fork of Bambu Slicer, I calibrated my max flow rates, extrusion multiplier, and K rate for each of my filaments.

Almost doubled my flow rate and almost halved my print times. Some prints I have to slow down for accuracy issues.

IDK if you read the long thread on here about the CHT nozzles, but it’s interesting. The “slow down” part is easier when it’s already blinding fast.

I had been considering getting a set for my CR-10S (heavily modded) and my Wife surprised me with an X1C. I also got .2, .6 (my main), .8 Nozzles and just before I found out there were CHT available for the Bambu’s I ordered the parts to make plug swappable hotends for them.

Now I think she’d shoot me if I ordered hotends and CHT nozzles! {Sigh}
Sometimes life like to screw with you. :face_with_spiral_eyes: :grin: