Incorrect Nozzle Detection

Hello all,

The other day I came across a potential issue that I think would be easy to address. I was printing several things using the 0.8mm nozzle and stopped printing for a month. Then I started printing again and forgot that the 0.8mm nozzle was installed. In this instance, Bambu Studio was set to use the 0.4mm nozzle. As you can imagine there were issues with the print.

It made me think, why is there no system to warn you if you have set the nozzle to one size in Bambu Studio and a different size on the printer? When you install a nozzle in the printer you set the nozzle type and size on the printer settings and you choose the nozzle you want to use in Bambu Studio so why is there no system to detect a misconfiguration between the two of these? Similar to how it warns you when you use a different built plate to the one you set in Bambu Studio.

Just a suggestion for something to implement.

2 Likes

This feature is included in Prusa Slicer and Prusa firmware for their printersā€¦ You get notification about different nozzle type (printer vs sliced file). Would be nice to catch up and implement it!

Btw - in Prusa firmware you have to manualy choose your nozzle diameter

There is no way to do this without a sensing system of some sort to detect and report which nozzle is actually installed. That would add to the cost and complexity of the printer, nozzles, and software.

It is much simpler to let the user take responsibility for matching the slicer settings to the available hardware.

If you want to drill an 8 mm hole, but the installed bit is 10 mm, do you expect the drill to refuse to spin?

2 Likes

The whole point of Bambuā€™s tech is that ā€œit just worksā€. Being able to autodetect the nozzle and set the slicer correctly would be completely expected behaviour for a smart printer advertised as having AI features.

You specify the nozzle type and size on the printer itself and in Bambu Studio. Saying there is no way to detect that these two values are the same is silly.

Sure, if you set the nozzle on the printer to one size but installed another sized nozzle then it would be null and void but there is a value in the printer and in Bambu Studio for nozzle size so it would be pretty simple to do a comparison of the two values.

Itā€™s really pretty simple.

I changed several times the nozzle, but never changed a setting on the printer for that. Only in studio.
Now I checked: I do not find an setting at the printer for the nozzle. (X1C)

On the printer, select the ā€˜Settingsā€™ cog wheel then ā€˜Maintenanceā€™ and youā€™ll see the option there to set the nozzle type and size.

1 Like

Nozzle size is on the printer but I think it may only be used (if then) for MakerWorld clickā€™nā€™print.

Nope, that last post of mine is wrong. At least part of the feature @daniel82749 is asking for is already implemented in Studio 1.8.0 Public beta 2.

I sliced a model with a 0.8 nozzle profile and started a print on my X1C with its 0.4mm nozzle and got this warning:

I cancelled the print, changed the nozzle size to 0.8 on the printer and re-sent the print. The change was recognized and there was no warning.

So, put a note next to your extra nozzles to change the printer setting when you change nozzles.

1 Like

Thanks a lot! I wonder if firmware will do anything different.
Autodetection could also be simple by adding e.g. some pins at the connectors. At most reading a serial PROM.
As someone else complained the connectors should be improved to simpifiy change of the hotend. Disadvantage would be that then there would be different types of hotends (old an new).

Question: what does ā€œConfirm and Update Nozzleā€ do? Update type of nozzle in printer or in studio? If the change is in studio it should slice again.

That button actually changes the setting on the printer!

Use with caution.

Itā€™s nice that Bambu is trying to make their printers foolproof, but sometimes they just create new ways to be a fool.

Maybe Bambu-Developers recognized that there are people like me which forget to change the setting in printer (or dont even know that there exists such a setting).
If the firmware does really something different then it is good to change this setting when we print. Might be that different nozzles have different temperatur sensors or heat elements.But also that not all are different. So may be sometimes matters, sometimes not.

I found that nozzle detection was in the first public beta of Studio 1.8.0.

Improvement

1. Support nozzle diameter detection and nozzle hardness detection

While the printer assignment is sent, Bambu Studio detects if the nozzle is qualified to print the filaments:
a. Check whether the diameter of the preset nozzle is the same as the diameter of the printer nozzle.
b. Check whether the hardness of the printer nozzle is suitable for the filaments used for printing.
This feature reduces the risk of nozzle clogging and ensures the nozzleā€™s longevity by preventing excessive wear.
Note: The diameter and the hardness of the nozzle could be set on the printerā€™s screen.

I also set the printer to .4mm stainless nozzle, sliced a primitive using abrasive PLA-CF filament, and was told that was not a good idea:

I hit ā€œConfirm and Updateā€, checked printer and found it still indicated a stainless nozzle. Hit Send again to print, and then the printer setting changed to Hardened.

It could be as simple as a QR code on the hot end, similar to those on the build plates. Boogie over to the camera in the corner and have it scan the QR. That would require some extra software and a window in the print head cover, but no additional sensors or complexity.

Now it is supported for A1 and A1 mini printer as well :slight_smile:

Hope this helps someone in the future. On P1S on the printer screen, scroll down to the 3rd category where you see firmware. Click to the right and then scroll down until you see NOZZLE. click that and change the nozzle to what you installed on the hotend. then go back in and you should match up to what is memorized and what is in preset in slicer.

1 Like

Ugh youā€™re the best! This is exactly what I was looking for lol itā€™s so annoying when calibrating.