Installing Thermistor, thermal grease?

I have 4 P1Ps that print almost constantly. About every 2 months I need to replace the nozzle due to a jam that I can’t clear (although I don’t try very hard, it’s just easier to replace the hot end). On several occasions though, I can’t pull out the thermistor from the tiny hole. The thermal grease has hardened and it gets stuck in there, so I end up having to replace the thermistor and heating element as well.

Is the thermal grease really necessary for the thermistor in that tiny hole?

In a word… yes!!!

One of my other hobbies is overclocking PCs. There’s a great joy in being able to brag that your desktop can go to 11. :yum:

However, now and again, while doing quick builds, I’ll refrain from putting on thermal paste until I have everything in place. From a pure performance point of view it makes a substantial difference of anywhere from 10-20c as opposed to not using thermal paste. Now consider that is just for a CPU or GPU. Consider what will happen with an NTC Thermistor and skew the readings 10-20c for your hotend. It’s just courting disaster.

Thermal paste is just one option though. If you don’t mind the notion of a permanent and much more secure thermal mount, try thermal glue. I use it when I adhere thermocouples to MOSFETS on GPU cards which really have no otehr good way of mounting a Thermistor to the device. Unfortunately, I don’t have a photograph of that since I never thought it would be of interest to anyone but myself.

Here’s a listing to a bunch of variants of thermal glue. I haven’t found much difference between the various glues. Epoxy is more permanent but also much more messy.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=thermal+glue

Just remember, it’s a one-way installation, once the material cures, it’s on there for good. The only jeopardy is if the wires on the Thermistor break, then you have to replace the whole hotend.

1 Like

I don’t usually worry about reapplying the thermal grease, there’s usually enough on there to smear it around a bit. For the thermistor, I wouldn’t go to the trouble of trying to clean it out anyway. For the heater element, yes you need to make sure there’s a good, even coating on it.
Have you considered running cleaning filament through every couple of prints? It is great for keeping the inside clean and I find it does help prevent clogging issues. I just unhook the PTFE from the toolhead after a print and manually draw it in until it comes out clean then back it out and load back the filament I’m using next.

1 Like

Thermal glue is exactly the opposite of what I’m after. Many times the thermistor gets stuck in the hot end and so when I need to change the hot end out I end up breaking the thermistor trying to get it out of the hole.

I just had to do this again, and this time I put just a tiny tiny bit of thermal paste on the tip of the thermistor. Resulting prints are coming out fine. Hopefully in a few months when I need to replace the hot end again I can reuse this thermistor instead of breaking it.

hi. yes. I have made a video tutorial on YouTube look at Arno’s 3D on YouTube.

regards

Slice Engineering boron nitride paste is a popular choice and is what I use.

1 Like

This GENNEL stuff, in the description, says “do NOT use for CPU ↔ Heatsink”

Hope you aren’t using that for the overclocking

Sorry to necro thread. Was looking myself for the specs for the bambu stuff.