Interface Filament Painting?

Hi all,

I hope someone else has a solution for this. I would like to use interface filament in certain areas of a print only. This way, I can speed up print time and avoid hundreds of filament changes. It would be ideal to paint the surfaces where we want interface filament and have the default same-filament support elsewhere.

I want these interface support areas to have a nice finish. Also, I am printing in PETG, so an aid to support removal would be appreciated.

I am interested in hearing someone else’s thoughts!

I don’t think that’s possible in Bambu Studio. You can’t paint interface material and support settings are global – so you can’t even use modifiers. :worried:

Same in Orca :frowning:
Has anyone an idea why?

Well, thanks for the replies hho and frank.d. My workaround thus far is to place another part inside my CAD files that acts as the support. There are problems with this… I do not understand how the assembly features work in Bambu, if you bring 2 parts into your studio (your part + your part support) Bambu automatically merges the parts, or, places both on the build plate. This is not helpful if you wish for support only as an interface layer; it has to float. On the other hand, a merged version of 2 parts only allows the use of 1 filament type. As a workaround to this, I set a 0.001" gap between the 2 parts in the file. This effectively cheats your z gap but it is such a minuscule difference I have not noticed an effect.

I know this is not a convenient fix but it is nonetheless a workaround that has saved me some time and filament changes!