Interior light upgrade (better camera quality)

For those who are unhappy with the quality of the camera in the P1 series, there isn’t much you can do about the actual camera module at this point.

That said, one of the basics of photography is that lighting is everything! To this end, I installed a string of simple LED lights powered by the internal USB port, and you can judge the difference below for yourselves:

Before (official Bambu P1S light only):

After (official light plus LED string):

These photos are from my P1S which has the AMS on top, in a well-lit room. I probably need to trim this string down a little, as if anything it’s a tiny bit TOO bright now, but the difference is pretty decent for less than £10.00 off Amazon!

Not the most advanced mod in the world by any stretch of the imagination, but hopefully this helps some folks out.

2 Likes

I wonder how people get to use the USB port. It sits in an impossible angle for me to reach lefthanded. Wanted to do the same with the lights, but also need the USB to power the XTouch screen.

Got a photo of how you installed those string lights?

1 Like

I’ve got a little USB hub that I am hoping will work for the XTouch too:

I’ll grab photos when my current print finishes! It’s not the tidiest job ever, but it works so far.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s one way to install lights. Search “Glass Separation Riser with or without Venting” on printables. Allows for a ring of lights all the way around the chamber. It allows for powering from an external source at back of the printer, but should work fine connected to the onboard USB port.

Brackets to allow venting of the top glass are optional.

The version I remixed from supports an AMS if you need that–though not the same type of LED strip.

I did look at doing one of these riser-type prints for the LEDs but didn’t want to change the dimensions of the printer. Having the light coming from behind the camera was also my preference to avoid lens flare or artefacts.

1 Like