Ironing walls

I can’t find this (maybe it’s missing…).
Is it possible to iron walls?
I have a 3 layer wall and the bonding on the x-y-z is not watertight.
I would like to iron on the 3 axis if possible.
Is there a feature for this?

Yes i have tried to increase temperature, bigger nozzle, used PETG, used random seams, increased the resolution, decreased the gap, used bone dry filament … nothing works. So i though if i could iron on x-y ( and maybe z) would blend the layers.

No this is not a option and only top layers can be iron

Also the default settings for petg ironing need to be tuned the ironing speed and ironing flow to work better with petg top layers you have to test your filament some petg filaments can go 70 mm/s iron speed and 20% iron flow with a .4 nozzle installed.

With PETG watertight the best thing to do is slow the speeds way down and print the petg as hot as possible with low or no cooling fans you want maximum bonding of the layers.

ok. that’s what i though.
Thats why i was trying to think of a way to smudge x-y layers by ironing them but it’s not doing walls.

If this can be put on a new feature (we’ll see if others think it’s useful, we’ll see …)

Ironing is done by dragging the hot nozzle over flat top surfaces while extruding a very small amount of filament to help fill gaps.

There is no way to reach vertical surfaces with the nozzle tip, nor to extrude filament to the side.

let’s forget a Z imprint.
On a min of 2-3 layers thick wall, i think there is enough strength to drag the tip?

1 Like

“Ironing walls” got a good chuckle out of me. :joy:
When all you have is a hammer, all problems look like nails, isn’t it?

Yet the solution is super simple: resin!

1. Get the cheapest bottle of resin for SLA printers and a cheap UV light.
  2. Coat/paint the resin on the part where it needs to be watertight.
  3. Let the resin cure under the UV light.

Alternative: use marine epoxy instead. It’s thicker so it’ll have a different finish, but is more durable.