Is anyone else having weird issues after this last firmware update?

I would agree it looks like we have the same issue, sorry you have the same probmem but I’m glad it’s not just me. Could be coincidence but I really don’t think i had this problem before the last couple firmware updates. Also they released 2 firmware updates in the last week or so because the first one had a problem, I had done both.

I rolled back all the way to 01.05.02 and it didn’t fix anything, on the contrary it started complaining about X axis resonance having changed (right after I calibrated it). Recalibrating didn’t help. What helped was adding tension to the belts… I bet it has something to do with our tensioners not working correctly or the rods not being square, maybe in combination with some resonance compensation changes (maybe drivers were updated but not downgraded).

In either case, the problem persisted until I decided to try with a Cool Plate and a default profile (250mm/s infill vs 300mm/s infill which I used before). Now the problem was gone. Increasing the speed back to 300mm/s didn’t trigger the problem.
Then I changed the plate back to Textured PEI, printed the same thing and there are no bloody artifacts (not those we are talking about here anyway). There’s some underextrusion near the wall, even with PA enabled, that might also have something to do with it…

I’m lost. I hope support (I filed a ticket with all logs) comes back with some idea, hopefully they’ve seen this issue before. I have no idea if it’s the belts being loose, steppers loosing steps, Z being wobbly or uneven, PA messing up, the filament being way to inaccurate (?!) or a combination of things. I suspect it might actually be the Z axis being sticky - I changed my belts and after reassembling everything one corner was a bit higher. I did the Z alignment procedure and it looks better now, but I also noticed some belt debris under the printer now… I might change Z belt and just reset everything but I’m worried I might be compounding problems if I mess anything up.

vs

The first layer looked much better on 01.06.03.01 for some reason, in fact the whole print looks different. No idea about the underextrusion in the corners.

Just curious how many hours do you have on your machine and what brand filament are you using? I have 400 hours on my printer, I did recently clean the carbon rods and adjust belt tension. One of the tensioners did feel kind of stiff.

4500 hours :smiley: I can’t be mad at it, really.
I’m testing this with Bambu Lab Matt PLA - I noticed it with this filament, it is much more pronounced for some reason (also probably because it has higher max flowrate, thus prints faster), but the problem is there with most other materials as well, some just hide it better.

Btw I just added some tension to one of the belts (the one that subjectively felt a bit looser on both sides), recalibrated and the artefacts are gone again but there’s still some underextrusion-like-thing going on. I almost think it’s just random accross calibrations and maybe my extruder is missing steps or something…

OK so update, I downgraded firmware to 1.06.00 and recalibrated but problems were still there. I updated back to the current firmware, re-tensioned the X/Y belts, recalibrated, and ran another test print. It definitely improved and made the second layer lines closer but the problem is definitely still there. Not sure if there is something wrong with one of the tensioners and if it’s tensioning too much or too little or what to do now. I guess maybe I should open a support ticket?

Perform a cold pull on the nozzle, or swap in another. Nozzles wear out. Nozzles get partially (or totally) clogged. The quality of the extrusion is heavily dependent on the condition of the nozzle. If your extrusion sucks and you’ve tried everything else to no avail, try this.

1 Like

I did 3 cold pulls yesterday trying to diagnose this, the first one got very little the second 2 got nothing. The nozzle has maybe 250-300 hours on it with 99% of what it has had run through it being PLA, I’m pretty new to 3D Printing, is that how quickly a nozzle should wear out?

No, it isn’t. But sh!t happens. :slight_smile:

A nozzle swap is pretty easy to do provided you’re extra careful with the connectors so you don’t damage them unplugging or plugging in. So you could rule out the nozzle with a swap and just leave the replacement installed if it doesn’t change anything.

You’ve done just about everything else to no avail. As Sherlock Holmes says “When you have eliminated all which is impossible then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.” It may be hard to believe the nozzle could be at fault, but there’s not a lot left to blame you haven’t already tried…

1 Like

Can you check something? Slice a cube (50x50x50 is what I used) with Rectilinear infill (10%)
Post a photo of what it looks like while printing

This is what mine looks like :scream: :scream:
(Those gaps get smaller in Silent mode, just about half the gap)
GCode looks correct.
WHAT. THE. H.

Is there a way to do that in the slicer or do I need to make a square in Tinkercad or something? I did notice when attempting to re-tension my belts again that the bearings on the Y rails (the chrome rods) seemed loud and were causing a vibration I could feel in the head when moving it. I greased them following the procedure on the wiki which reduced the sound and vibration and seems to have reduced the weird texture substantially and at this point I feel could be chalked up to a little bit of under-extrusion at this point. I am going to try to grease the other side of the rails a little better and try to mess with the tensioners more because one was really stiff so I am wondering if moving it back and forth a little more won’t make it work as intended. I think it is one or both of those things that have caused the problem. I do wonder if maybe the bearings on the y rails on the side that was making the noise are starting to go bad already or maybe have been bad all along and I just never noticed it until it got a lot worse. I think I used to get the pattern ever so slightly on my top layers but ironing would get rid of it so I just assumed that was part of FDM printing. Here is a comparison of a test print I just did and the original coaster I shared with the really bad texture.

Do NOT grease linear rods. Clean them thoroughly (I use IPA, take care not to get it inside the bearing), then very very thinly coat them with light oil, then gently wipe it off. Those bearings are (should be :)) lubricated from the factory. If you feel like they are dry, then the only solution is to frequently apply small amounts of light oil (possibly push on them a bit to make the bearing inside them roll rather than slide), but that should only be last resort. If in doubt, just wipe them with a clean rag, and beware of any strands or dust od debris getting inside those bearings.

I think there are more factors than one to what’s happening in there. I found that making the belts tighter might improve the problem for a moment, only for it to return later. Sometimes doing nothing and just calibrating is enough. I’m pretty sure that it’s the resonance compensation mechanism trying to cope with play somewhere in the system that is not actually a resonance, and mostly failing.

I found play in my toolhead (between toolhead and the bearings), like described here Extruder has play in Y-Axis and will try fixing it tomorrow. Whether that is a complete fix or not I don’t know, but this is the only play I can see and it makes sense why I didn’t notice it when manually moving the toolhead - if you have tension on the belts, then it masks this problem, but the motor actually tensioning the belts in opposite directions will make the toolhead warp because of the play. At least I hope that’s the right explanation :slight_smile:

To create a test cube, create a new project, right click on the bed in the Prepare tab and then Add Primitive → Cube. Resize to 50x50x50 and print. But it’s enough to just print anything and use Rectilinear infill, it should show on any print.

I’m convinced I’ve had this problem for quite a while and just didn’t notice. Over time I got used to some things getting very slightly worse, and since I mostly use Gyroid infill and filaments that hide errors, this went unnoticed. Maybe something in recent firmwares made this worse…

I will look into the tool head being loose, I just followed the directions in the WIKI which says you can grease them if hearing an abnormal sound from them. I put a little dab of grease infront and behind on each side and slid it back and forth. Cleaned the rods with iso and applied a small amount of oil with a rag to the rails for the rust prevention. The very bottom says you can grease it.

I shimmed the toolhead chassis to the bearing, as described here: Extruder has play in Y-Axis - #41 by zviratko
this is the result.
I will call that success (unless the problem comes back, then I’ll set it on fire and sing Kumbaya)

So check if you have play between the toolhead and the rod, look from the right angle from the side or remove the back panel, you’ll see whether it’s between the bearing and the rod or the toolhead and the bearing.

I think I have fixed mine by swapping nozzles and cleaning/lubing the y rails. I am going to do some more testing this afternoon. Just out of curiosity did you have the copper sleeves for bearings or the solid chrome ones?

Solid chrome. There were springs on the front chassis piece and two tiny pieces of tape (one misplaced) as a shim.

Did you print that test cube? If not, do. I’m still getting tiny surface artifacts, but no inaccuracy (it is connected, but the surface finish is partly random probably due to the compensation). In fact, my X1C never printed this good, not even when new.

So I am pretty sure I have fixed the issue, I think mine was a combination of things. One I think the main problem was there was something wrong with my nozzle that I was using, I switched nozzles (to a bigger one because it was all I had at the moment) and I also think a lot of the bearings were needing lubed and that one of my tensioners was tight and not moving like it was supposed to. I live in a dusty area and TBH I think after lubing everything that it has probably needed it since I got it and just got worse from all the dust here. It is actually substantially quieter when the print head is moving around now, I think maybe quieter than is was when I got it lol. I still think I have a little filament tuning to do but it is much better than it was.

There are clearly many things that can cause similiar defects. If only you printed the test cube…

I did print a test cube, the infil never came out like yours, just bottom and top solid layers were affected.

I didn’t read the whole thread but I think I had the same problem and posted about it here. I had that problem suddenly pop into existence before this firmware update. I sent a bug report to Bambulab about this. But for me a factory reset of the device fixed it.

IMPORTANT: During factory reset even if it tells you to only move your bed to the center z height, put it to the bottom. If the bed is not at the bottom the bed will crash into the nozzle! Because it thinks it actually comes out of the factory and you just unscrewed the bed from the bottom