Is Bambu Cloud down again ?!

I suppose BambuLab’s spaghetti detection software, and whatever other software in the mix that “learns” needs to be fed a constant diet of examples if it is to improve. I’m not trying to defend the lack of an equally attractive LAN alternative, though, since we’re in the midst of a scenario where one is justified. Seems to me the learning data could still be anonymized and passed along for those who opt-in to that, unless perhaps the actual spaghetti detection doesn’t happen on the printer but rather in the cloud itself?

Are you using a P1P? The only significant feature that I can’t use in LAN-only mode on my X1C is live camera access. I can still submit jobs, change temps and print speed, and pause/cancel jobs from BS. I just can’t use Bambu Handy on my phone.

I am using an X1C. I can’t see the camera. Can’t send a file to the printer. Can’t print plate to the printer. Can’t really do anything. I can home the printer, but that is about it.

I’m saying it’s likely, but if the company were to suddenly go bankrupt you’d still want your printer to be usable and not bricked just because the cloud was no more. Exactly that has happened at a number of IoT companies.

2 Likes

That’s odd. I just use the “Print Plate” button in BS and it sends and starts every time. I do have to semi-frequently re-bind the printer as it seems BS looses that from time to time, and when this happens I have to both quit BS and power cycle the printer.

I have not received my X1CC yet (I ordered it several days ago and it has still not arrived… aaaaahhhh the wait!!!) but I peeked in to the software trying to convince myself - I can do this!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Pun aside, everything looks very neat and tidy - I like everything I’ve seen so far - extremely promising!
On the other side however - of course it would be extremely attractive if the Bambu Lab printers was usable and 100% supported outside the cloud. It is quite obvious this would make a great selling point!

(I say obvious because when I asked around about Blabs printers, pretty much every single one in to 3D printing held off because of that Cloud thing and something about everything should be Open Source. I dunno much about these modern stuff, I just want it to work. But the brains I picked seemed all very interested but held off since they wanted them two options above… so I figure it is a no-brainer these would sell like butter melt in a supernova if those two details was boxed ticked.)
So I upvote them things that I dont understand since my mates will then get them and I can ask them for help and print lessions! :melting_face:

If my girlfriend pops up in the forum and asks how much the printer was, it was like VERY cheap!!!

1 Like

Is there an easy way to track cloud accessibility so that we can determine just what the cloud reliability percentage is? Is that figure already known, and, if so, what is it? As long as the cloud is reliable and has high availability, I don’t mind using it, especially if doing so helps the BambuLab software “learn.” That said, I realize there are those who for privacy, security, or other reasons want zero cloud dependency at all, and I fully support that point of view. It’s not a zero sum game, because there’s a constant stream of new users arriving all the time.

No, there is no way.

What Bambu Lab needs to do is :

1. To have an ecosystem (Studio + Handy + camera) 100% working in local mode (LAN only), with proper level of security
  2. Have the “cloud feature” only used when an extra option is checked, like “expose the printer over internet in order for some few geeks to be able to remotely start a print” (however, this can easily be done in another way : with a VPN or WIREGUARD connection being configured at home / at router level)
  3. Have in all situations a better error handling
  4. Have for cloud features a status.bambulab.com URL showing the current statuses of everything (store, homepage, cloud features, forum)
4 Likes

You can’t even send an stl file to the SD card without the lan-only mode which restricts the device so no one wants to use it. I hope Bambu still delivers, I like the printer very much but this forced connection to the cloud sucks and I don’t understand what that’s about.

When the cloud was down I did send the job many times to the printer without proper feedback as I was troubleshooting it (restarting printer, restarted BambuStudio, rebooted computer,…) to obviously no avail. Use the sneaker net to upload on the SD card and started the print from it. It was an hour print more or less. The print was nearing the end when I went to walk my dog. Upon return a mayhem was awaiting, the print from the cloud started on top of the previous print with parts all over the enclosure, a humongous spaghetti in the making and a bent nozzle. Obviously, Bambu needs to cancel any prints in queue while they are down upon restoring the services, as there is no mechanism to prevent what happened in my case. Still love my X1C, but trusting it way less in it’s handling of abnormal use cases…. Guess it’s still work in progress. BTW try LAN only mode, that in my case did not work at all freezing Bambu Studio and needing force quitting the app.

It’s cancelled… but only if your printer is offline when the delayed job is sent.

The advice (this is what i did) is for now to immediately switch the printer in “LAN ONLY” mode if there are cloud issues (this way, it won’t be reachable from the cloud, and enqueued print jobs will be automatically cancelled).

Moreover, in the meanwhile, at least it rather easily allows to send files through FTP : it’s less easy, but still better than having to manually handle the copy over the SD card in a physical way.

And, by the way, i think that everyone who did a ticket during the problem has received that same answer (probably handled in “batch” mode for all these tickets) :

For the first time, there was a cloud outage on Jan 20. Bambu Lab engineers immediately were notified, found the cause, and implemented a fix, and the cloud was back up within the hour. So everything should be working fine now.

That’s why it went down several more times during the next few hours.

1 Like

probably because of all the stuff sent to the cloud and “clogging” same.

We really need a way to send the file to the printer and THEN let it initiate print (reliably).
Having the printer download it from the cloud maybe and start a print sometime after is just awful.

Also, today I had to use the SD card for the first time as the prints were “sent” but never appeared on the SD card (not only did printer not see them but they were literally nowhere to be seen on the card). I wonder who has my STLs now :smiley:

Sending prints to my P1P results in nothing happening at the moment. Might be down again :frowning:

oh imagine that Bambus cloud is down again what a shocker

Down again for last several hours?

@SirWill i guess you should implement a status Page where one can see whether cloud is down.

I was noticing the Bambu Lab website was unreachable while the cloud was down. Probably all running on the same system.