Is filament type change possible without AMS using BL or Orca Slicer?

Hi, I’m trying to switch filaments from TPU to PETG mid print without using an AMS (AMS wouldn’t be able to handle TPU anyways), but not finding a way to do this with Orca Slicer. I used the “Change Filament” function at a layer height and resliced and it never paused the print for me to change the filament. Luckily I was watching and stopped the print immediately. Since TPU and PETG have different temp/speed settings I need the pause to happen right before the “Change Filament” settings take affect but I can’t seem to be able to add a PAUSE & Change Filament on the same layer. What am I doing wrong or is this just not possible without AMS?

Yes, you can. Please use the search function here in the forum and you will find some topics about this. At the moment the P1P firmware (1.02.xx) has a problem with the filament “load” function, which causes layer shift. But there a workarounds for this.

Thanks for the suggestion but I’m not finding any threads on this specific topic. I’ve combed through 50 or so threads.

Hi. For example here: Filament change during a print results in layer shift. Just search for “filament change p1p”.
Also without AMS you can add a second filament in Bambu Studio and “paint” the model. At the layer where you want to change the filament, you have to add “custom code” and insert:

M400 U1 ;pause and wait for resume pressed
G28 X Y ;home XY
M106 S255 ;restart part cooling fan if needed

Then the printer will pause at the layer and wait for user input. Now you can “unload” the old filament and “load” the new filament. After this press “resume”.

Because of a firmware bug you can’t simply use “add pause” because the “load” function caused a layer shift (about 1 mm) on resume printing. The custom code will work around this bug.

1 Like