Is it worth getting a respooler to get best use from the AMS?

https://www.printables.com/model/478890-bambu-lab-filament-spool-winder-upgraded
This is the one I used, and like. Not very compact though, haha, like Jon’s recommendation.

Despite trying to avoid using them, I’m still happy to have it on hand!

It doesn’t get any simpler than that, I don’t imagine. It’s missing the back-and-forth thingy though that’s supposed to help with evening out the spooling. Does it work well without such a thing? If so, I’ll go with this as the near-term solution, because it appears it would be both easy and fast to print, and obviously very compact and therefore easy to store as well.

By running the filament through your hand as it spools allows you to direct where the filament is winding and helps to keep even tension on it.

4 Likes

It gives you that zen feeling layer by layer, beautiful lines all in a row… Then that damn AMS strips and recoils it totally all over the place :crazy_face:

1 Like

Say, that wasn’t in the brochure. Is that what I have to look forward to?

1 Like

By the way, this comment is what sold me on printing a respooler. Then the Respool Tool was so simple it made following through a nobrainer. I’m printing it now, in fact:

You’ll want some type of drag or brake on the supply spool. The first time you start winding on the new spool and let off the trigger a little, you’ll have filament flying all over the room. :rofl:

I have the Pastamatic and love it. It has a drag made with TPU flaps. I printed mine in black PLA because I have a lot of it. I also printed the clips to hold the axles in place. I drive mine with a DeWalt 1/4" hex driver with a Philips bit. Oh yah, and you’ll see how much paper dust comes off the cardboard spools. Another reason not to run them in an AMS.

2 Likes

I also run one of those flexible drill bit shafts on my drill so it has some flex. That is until I get the motivation to do the motor drive kit onto the Pastamatic.

Does anyone here have a favorite standalone spool brake system that they especially like?

I found this interesting magnetic one, but I don’t know whether or not it’s a good fit for the purpose:

https://www.printables.com/model/743728-magnetic-brake-spool-holder-for-pegboard

Alternatively, I’m pretty sure a stepper motor could be used as a brake, by just shorting some of the coil wires. Stepper motors are ridiculously cheap these days. You can buy 3 NEMA 17’s on amazon for $10, including next day delivery. Incredible!

You could just use a hand, but I’d wear a thick glove. The friction can cause a lot of heat. I’ve noticed a little melting on my TPU drags. And I still keep a hand near for emergencies.

I think the magnetic spool holder is for external spools mounted for feeding the printer. Not sure you’d see enough drag to slow down a 2-pound spool spinning at 100+ rpm. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

I was just trying to think of a brake that would avoid creating the dust cloud, like the way the flapper braking against the cardboard spool might cause. Maybe I’m overthinking it.

If it can be choreographed right, the gloved hand is going to be simplest.

1 Like

Have you ever thought of a leather strap/strip? In place of the TPU that is?

That would be a refund from the filament retailer, or manufacturer. If not, it’s a small claims court case. Though I suppose this depends where you live.

It’s also annoying and could cause time delay if you had to disassemble the AMS to clear a jam and I would be unhappy about continuing to buy a brand that kept doing this, or from a retailer that sold this type of thing.

edit 1 I would just assume that filament rolls do NOT explode, since I won’t be purchasing again if I do not have this expectation.

edit 2 I should add that Sunlu replaced a spool for me that had problems with the filament diameter being widely inconsistent.

Exploding filament spools are possibly due to excess moisture content along with respooling which causes stress/tension in the filament with the twisting and assorted other unnatural curvature on the new core. The combination of the two can be “destressed” by a period in a filament dryer after the respool.

I respool all the time and use this method of destressing and never experience issues (use many different brands and materials).

What exactly do you guys mean by “explosion” in this context? On first reading I thought maybe you meant the filament was kinda springy and sorta jumped off the spool if not restrained? Or is there something more to it?

@NeverDie I’ve seen examples where it looks like the filament has been literally sliced in quarters like a small pizza. Like I said, never experienced it and not sure it is as spectacular in noise and shrapnel, but the resulting mess is picking up many small pieces of filament.

Edit to add the youtube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55Bp1zpsZuo

I just use a set of rollers to sit the spool on and a printed holder for a drill adaptor. Then with one hand operating the drill and the other guiding the filament on. Or get someone else to act as the spool holder. It works but could be refined if I had to do it more often. Usually I just print adaptors for the spools to go in the AMS.

1 Like

:rofl: Should I take my toaster manufacture to court the next time i accidentally burn my toast?

1 Like

Yes, this exactly, exactly what you’re showing with that youtube video. It just looks like an explosion. There’s tons of little bits all over. It’s like the filament breaks and losses tension, so becomes a mess of spaghetti as there’s now hundreds of strands instead of just one.

I just got an error message of a jam on my phone, and went to check it and found that in my AMS. It didn’t Michael Bay explosion or anything.

2 Likes

Ouch, the AMS is at least a little easier to tip up and empty in the bin. I’ve been lucky with my respools and only worry about them coming apart if I forget to lock it with a shim.