Is the aux part big fan a design flaw or I missed something?

The side fan is quite strong if it needs to be. Turn it on to 100% and check it out - it covers the build plate nicely.

The Aux Fan could be used for a part cool down fan, after print is complete.
100% blowin on the part for 5 minutes would really cut cold down time.
It seems like an ideal function but, I have not found this option in Bambu studio yet.

-Uman

I dont understand what you mean ? do you talk about another printer ? or maybe you have a very recent one with a different fan ?

I mean it covers, as in it effectively blows air, on the build plate.

Have you ran the test I suggested? Turn the fan on at 100% and put your hand on the build plate. It’s very strong and there’s a lot of air moving across the majority of the plate. That single fan is only part of the cooling system they have. There are 2 other fans that can run at the same time, one is on the tool head itself and blows directly on the part after extrusion.

Ok, I think that’s there is something you dont really understand on how cooling should be done, having few air going in all direction wont help that much. Maybe have a look at how some other printers auxiliary cooling are done like voron Printables

Undirect air flow is not that helpfull.

EDIT: maybe to explain a bit more cooling part system (on hotend or auxiliary) is intended to cool upper part of the printed object not the whole object as it would be useless.

Tou can also look on Google for “3d printing cooling”, you will find a lot of explanation/article on this subject : The Critical Importance of Cooling During Plastic 3D Printing « Fabbaloo

“The fans blast ambient air at the freshly extruded plastic in an attempt to cool it off very rapidly.”

1 Like

OK, so, who is designing a better solution for this?
Shouldn’t be too difficult, I guess?
Would also be nice to have a part cooling fan on the right side
 anyone? :wink:

Are you having problems with your prints? If so, maybe you can post some of the failures you’re experiencing related to the fan setup?

Fortunatly no that’s ok ( while writting this, I am thinking of other issues on other threads that I really hope I wont have :slight_smile: ), I did not had any issue that I was not able to fix, but yes I can do a timelapse showing the problem and why it is IMHO a design flaw that should be improved, I’ll do this because I think it will probably be a lot more explicit than a long text explanation.

Exactly.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BambuLab/comments/11k70sc/air_flow_visualization_for_aux_fan/

5 Likes

Are you kidding me ?

I give up, wow, it’s a waste of time, if someone else is kind enough, please explain to them.

You will probably find the size of a toilette paper on this site Toiletpaper Magazine

1 Like

What blows my mind is someone designed a TP holder to demonstrate it!

Now that person defines the word engineer!

That’s a right fresh breeze there.

2 Likes

I am not.

I understand. You want a different cooling setup and/or more fans.

I’m simply posting a video that demonstrates then considerable amount of air flow with the current setup. Since the aux fan isn’t drawing cool air in, I originally assumed the aux fan was mostly just for blowing air down and across the the bed, which would move the warm, stagnate air off the part being printed, and keep the overall temperature of the entire chamber more even and better regulated.

My wondering is just about their strange choice of design.

I am okay with the fact it is blowing a lot of air, but the only fan IMO that will help cooling down the chamber is the chamber fan, but a better option to cool down is to simply open the door

1 Like

That aux fan was not cheap and the designers must have some future plan for it ; possibly to expedite the bed cool down after the print is complete. I use it manually for this function now.

-Uman

This thread discussion is becoming more and more strange everydays :slight_smile:

How the hell are you using it to lower the bed temperature while it is blowing at the nozzle height ?

1 Like

Totally agree with you. Front third of the bed is not covered at all.
Here is the difference, 50->300mm/s PLA+ single wall speed tower placed in center vs front of the bed:
Bambu aux fan flaw

3 Likes

eureka ! finally a relevant comment :slight_smile: thanks @DHK ,that’s exacly what I wanted to point out !

Did you look into if the aux fan duct can be taken apart? Or cut off? Shouldn’t be a big deal to design a wider duct then and replace it.

The current design was only created for speed benchy’s. No doubt.

Scary how many newbies are floating around and giving an “expertise”, sharing ridiculous PLA settings to others and so on.
Must be the fact that a lot of Bambu owners are totally new to 3D printing, getting decent quality which turns them into experts. :upside_down_face:

Unfortunatly not that easy to cover the whole plate due to z lead screw supports, but it still/anyway can be improved/enlarged a bit.

Interrestingly the width of the fan duct is near half of he full build plate (120mm), may be Bambulab targeted two fans at first then they decided for some reasons to stick with one without/forgetting enlarging it.

1 Like

You can design it such way that it blows on the front part of the bed at an angle, the lead screw mount will not block the flow.
I am thinking of cutting the duct from the fan and make some custom replaceable ones.
Or probably buy a similar sized 24V blower and make a custom duct from scratch for the other side.