Is the aux part big fan a design flaw or I missed something?

Yep, I would say so too. The duct can be made 2cm longer in the front and also in the back with an another angle.

Might be possible to cut a small slot on the ends to already get a wider blowing angle.

A strip of HVAC metal tape bonded to the duct directs the air blast at the build plate.
Simple and works.

Cheers,
-Uman

:rofl: sorry this is such a surprise ! I love this, so inventive, un-undansterdable but inventive

LOL! Sometime simple is the answer. Brilliant!

1 Like

In my understanding, AUX fan should be directed at the topmost printed layer, not the bed.
It helps to cool it down in the cases like I posted above, where the printhead quickly move away from the fresh extrusion and the PH fan do not have time to cool it down.

3 Likes

Dont worry, this is not only in your understanding, this is what this fan is intended to do, cooling the lasts layer(s), there is never a fan to cool down bed, Uman just invented it, who know maybe in the futur I will be proved wrong^^

1 Like

Only printing with PLA so far and i haven’t found a use for the huge left sided AUX fan yet, so i simply turn it off 0%.

This is probably because you did not uncheck :

“Slow printing for better cooling” on Filament Settings

And

“Slowdown on bridge” on Speed Settings :

This is all fine to keep those boxes checked, but you are loosing a lot of speed and you may have some differents quality trouble because of speed variation wich is never good on a fast print, you can look this forum thread as an example : [SOLVED] Bad quality when printing PETG - #201 by Thrawn

May work out well for PETG.

But with PLA, i get almost perfect results without the side fan.
And i definetly need “slow down for overhangs”.

It all depends on “what” and “with what” material you are printing anyway.

I won’t try to convince or explain to you as it will be a waste of time and everything have been explained yet in this thread. This is just a matter of quality & speed

1 Like

shrugs each to his own i guess.

Speed is not everything, speed can actually make things far far worse, even with the XC1.
As i said, it all depends on what you are printing.
I get much much better results than the benchy in the video you just linked.

It highly depends on “what” and with “what material” you are printing, simple square boxes and other simple shapes are no big deal and default speed/fan settings etc. may work out indeed well.
But as soon it gets more complex you will run into huge troubles with your side fan speed at 70% and fast printing.

But that side fan, that is blowing randomly around only from one side which doesn’t even cover top most layers of the entire model you are printing, expecially the bigger your model gets is of no real help and only causes issues.

Here is my latest print, AUX fan set to 0%, PLA+, layer 0.16. 0.4 nozzle:

2 Likes

This thread is about the aux FAN and its strange design, auxiliary fans are made to cool the last layers printed faster when the main fans part cooling (on the hottend) are not enought, this is mainly required for fast printing and absolutly not requiered for some objects like a big cube indeed…

So yes you can get perfect result without auxiliary fan, you can even get perfect result without any parts fan cooling at all… this is how the first 3d printers was working.

“Slowdown on overhangs” or “Slowdown on small pieces/fast layers” are intended to compensate lack of cooling, you can see them as a security settings to be sure cooling is done when next layer is printed or that overhang dont sag.

Bambulab ingeniors did not put this fan to make the printer prettier…

And finally saying what you said is just off topic.

EDIT: nice print :wink:

EDIT2: I really tried to be pedagogic and not “shrugs”

1 Like

No, worries, no hard feelings.

Yes i understand what all the fans are for.
For some odd reason you are assuming nobody but you understands what the fans are for.
I was just sharing my experience so far, that is all.

Maybe i may need the side fan at some point, maybe for larger/longer overhangs, bridges and what not.
But so far, with what i am currently printing, i keep it better off.

Well, obiously no (even if some have proven they just dont know anything about this and try to explain a different reallity), they are a lot of valuable advices & peoples out here.

Also, probably due to english not being my natural language, this can lead to some ununderstanding, but also (and specially in this forum) because that some ones are saying nonsense things rather than trying to learn/understand stuffs that are really basics even for peoples with low knowledge in FDM 3d pritnting .

1 Like

I understand where you are coming from.
And your english is perfect, imo anyway.

@DzzD

ALSO @DzzD:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dude, trust me, your English is fine. Not many here can whip off the word pedagogic let alone use it properly! LMAO

You also have an excellent grasp of 3D printing concepts, and we all appreciate your insightful mind and contributions to this forum!

Thank you!

3 Likes

I just want to add here. I completely agree that the aux fan only blowing 2/3 of the build plate. The 1/3 area nearby the door doesn’t get any air blown there and I do think its a design flaw here (things to improve). My idea to fix this issue is to add a fan redirector to this area or to add a second auxiliary fan that blows from the right side of the chamber. Not only this cover 100% the build plate, but also blowing from both ends for maximum cooling and symetrical.

If you don’t like the aux fan or find it warping your print, just turn it off and slow down the print. I find the aux fan beneficial and improves my print quality. Yet this can be further improved by community or bambu labs engineer.

I will be contributing to this thread asap

Installing a second auxiliary fan on the right side

I have all the parts needed now and will do the install either tonight or tomorrow

As per my message to @DzzD this reply is just to get the thread traction so I don’t start a new one but rather add to this existing thread

All parts, links and functionality will be posted here

Stay tuned…

2 Likes

This will be interesting…Bring it on Jrock!

2 Likes

I have an external duct line pulling air out the back-side exhaust to vent to atmosphere. I can feel air get pulled in through the filament dump which I think means that I’m creating airflow inside the chamber in addition to the cooling inside the chamber. I wonder how this affects the part cooling. just wanted to throw more variables in as I know there can be concerns about air quality w.r.t health from 3d printing. i can control the venting CFM.