Is the scraper safe to use?

This may seem silly, but I feel like the provided scraper will scrape the “cool” sheet too deeply.

Is this the case or is it just “catching” on old gluestick?

1 Like

I’ve been using it for the last few weeks without issues or accidental cuts. Do make sure it keeps a very shallow angle to the bed. I try to have the ridge behind the screws almost touch the surface while scraping off small bits of filament and only apply very little pressure.

It does also scrape up gluestick of course.

Hope that clears things up a bit

I love the scraper. I have used it on the cool sheet for months, no issues. Like Luuk stated, no pressure and it needs to be low to the bed. Other than that, I love it. It makes cleaning filament off the bed one of the most fun parts. Very satisfying.

1 Like

TLDR: Should be fine… but caution required if this is your first experience and NEVER attempt new technical skills at 4am in the morning.

I have to put my hand up here… (read: moment of shame)

Background: Total 3D Printer noob - no experience whatsoever and the X1C is my first.

Received my printer on a Friday afternoon and had to wait till late evening to unpack and setup. Having watched numerous hours of YouTube unboxings and recommendation, i couldn’t wait to start printing - with first order of business: PRINT A SCRAPER (not a benchy - i’m more of a utilitarian)

Unboxing and setup took much longer than expected (those YT videos weren’t kidding), also because i was like super cautious so by the time i had setup and run calibration it was already like 2am before the Bambu Scraper was ready to print.

In true X1C style, print went flawlessly - i was amazed (my first 3D print EVER); took the scraper and holder off the print bed, assembled it and marveled at the collective genius. But then i realised, I hadn’t glued the surface when calibration lines printed and i was having issues trying to remove them… “I’m lucky i printed a scraper” i thought to myself; so i grabbed the trusty tool and promptly proceeded to scrape those stubborn calibration lines (repeatedly) to the point where i realised i had TAKEN A CHUNK OUT OF THE BED (see photo)!

Panic and sheer dismay set-in, not like 15min after my first print had i managed to ruin my new printer (bed). So at ~3:30am in the morning, was furiously trying to evaluate all my option - I was like freaking out; more concerned that i had somehow managed to damage the plate (not just the sheet) and wondering what the implications were.

Anyhow, all roads pointed that i needed to replaced the cool sheet (maybe that’s why Bambu provides 2 sheets (for idiots like me), but to do that - I needed to print out the cool sheet alignment tool - which then entailed another 30min of googling to try and figure out was it ‘safe’ to print PLA on the engineering side of the plate (which doesn’t specify PLA).

All-in-all, everything worked out - replaced the cool sheet the next morning then PROMPTLY placed an order for the PEI plate (and one additional cool sheet). Couldn’t be happier since!

But again, to answer your question, ‘yes’, the scraper can do damage to the plate (if you’re a total noob, or half-asleep). Even now, 2 weeks into ownership (and 3D printing journey), i’m finding that prints can stick to the cool plate (even after applying glue) but at least i’m more savvy as to how to use the scraper - but i’d be lying if i say i’m still not nervous at the thought!

But all-in-all; just have fun - it’s an awesome product and if there’s one thing i’ve learnt, this ‘hobby’ is an absolute RABBIT HOLE - so many different specialties and things to learn.

I am sorry for your bed. Rookie mistake… You need to “Scrape” not gouge. Using a metal scrapper or razor blade one is a bad idea for PLA. Print an ALL PLA scraper from other sights. You won’t accidently gouge the surface. I agree that the supplied scrapper was not a good idea. They should have done an all plastic one. A metal scrapper is needed sometimes if the PLA is really really stuck on. Put you should always scrape not dig in. I suggest replacing the sticker on that plate.

Instructions for replacing sticker:

PLA Scrapper Example:
https://www.printables.com/model/78427-scraper

2 Likes

if you print the Bambu scraper model and use it as intended it pretty much doesn’t dig into anything, it holds the blade at the correct angle.

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply… Yes, i immediately changed the cool sticker the next morning and have been more cautious in terms of the proper technique since.

…As of 2hrs ago, I have just received received the Textured dual-sided PEI plate and i must say, i couldn’t be happier. I have the printer calibration lines literally peeling off the plate is ONE CONTINUOUS piece.

Seriously, the printer should have shipped with the PEI plate as a default. but is definitely a MUST buy for me. To anyone considering Textured PEI for the following i’d just say “BUY IT NOW!!!” :rofl:

Thanks for this… unfortunately, being ~3am in the morning didn’t help and i didn’t think to look up the proper scraping technique… Am definitely more enlightened now.

That said… as per my previous post, hopefully with the PEI plate, it will render the scraper obsolete for like 80% of the time… I was floored post the first print i did with it and the printer calibration lines just peeled off all in one piece :exploding_head:

PEI Plate Calibration Lines

I don’t use it. It’s pretty sharp and the PEI sheet is jut that; a sticker sheet. Works great and is easy enough to replace when it starts to get bubbly (with the amazing line up tool you can print) I use Nano for bed adhesion sometimes or nothing at all. I let the bed cool and the part comes off with no issues. Certainly not using that on a textured bed like the P1P. Those little scrapers you can print seem safer IMHO to use instead of that razor blade scraper. I think that was designed to aid getting the PEI sheet off anyway??

not that it matters in the slightest, but I use the Bambu razor scraper on a smooth PEI sticker plate, which is quite delicate, all the time and it doesn’t leave any scratches.

Full transparency here. I’m that guy that DID actually cut a PEI sheet with the damn thing. It works but does not take much effort at all to put a sweet slice in the sheet.

If anyone was following these instructions, try to keep your other hand out of firing line - if that razor slips, it will go straight into your other hand. timecode 3:35. Push the plate against a stop block. It gives you more control that way.