Large prints can cause problems

I have an item to print that is very short and the outer perimeter of the base is 250x250mm. The spec is 256x256 so I thought that I would give it a try.

First, Bambu studio gives an error that it won’t fit on the plate. That is because in the printer settings (the setting with nozzle size) there is an exclusion area on the bed for the prime tower. I have a couple comments about this.

• The exclusion area is in the printer settings, but the use of the prime tower is in other and it is enabled even when there is no AMS and there is only one filament color set.

Disabling the prime tower, which isn’t being used anyway does not disable the exclusion area. You have to manually edit the printer settings and then disable the exclusion area.

Problem 1.
I had to go watch the printer set up to print and remove the line it prints across the front before printing. That would have been in the printed space for my model. This isn’t a huge problem.

Problem 2
The left front corner of the print started curling. This might have been because i didn’t get the plate perfectly aligned and the front was shifted a couple millimeters to the right. I find it difficult to get the plate perfectly aligned because of the way it uses plastic corners to align the back and the magnets are so strong that when I am lowering the front at some point it just slaps down. That isn’t a problem with normal print. I don’t have a problem with the corner of the print lifting. I can make attempts such as cleaning the plate, aligning the plate better, using a brim.

I do want to note, that the plate is only 256mm wide so printing to the full stated print volume will not be possible.

Problem 3
There is a spring loaded lever in the corner where the purge tower space is. I haven’t found it in the documentation, but I would guess that it has something to do with the purge tower function.

I was watching the print so that I could stop it if the lifted corner caused a problem. On about the third layer that lever knocked the print head cover loose. It was still almost in place and I just touched it and it snapped back into place.

Several layers later the lever again knocked the print head cover loose and this time it was being flung around connected by the fan wire. While I was trying to use the interface to abort the print it stopped by itself. Thankfully there was no damage to the fan wire.

This appears to be a design issue.
Maybe the lever should have a catch to hold it out of the way for large prints.
Maybe there is some geometry change of the lever or print head that would eliminate the issue.
I am just glad nothing was damaged. Now I know that I cannot print 6mm less than claimed size.

I would be grateful if someone would explain what the lever is for, or point me to the documentation page.

Read the Wiki here Build volume restrictions
The lever has nothing to do with a purge tower. It is for activating the filament cutter when unloading filament.

Thanks @AndiS

I do look at the wiki, but I find it hard to find things. That may be due to the search results going away when you select one of them, but it doesn’t support opening the result in a new tab. :frowning:

1 Like

Of course I couldn’t find information about the lever because I didn’t know what to call it. Thanks again @AndiS for the pointer.

They even have a model to hold the lever out of the way. Too bad Bambu Studio didn’t warn me when I removed the print area exclusion.

Live and learn

2 Likes

My Prusa MKS3 bed has extra space in the front for this purpose. It doesn’t count towards the quoted volume.

EDIT: All-in-all BambuLabs lie about the print volume.