Layer slips at consistant place

hi

I appreciate this is a bit of a stress test print, and I wasn’t expecting it to print this well to be honest, but im curious as to why Im experiencing this layer shifting at a consistent position?

It’s on a walking stick for a character im making and im printing it upright, so granted - it does get quite wobbly as it reaches the top. Im just surprised that it does that shift at the same place. I was wondering If there was any reason for this? I printed it totally unsupported other than a standard brim

thanks for any help!
Nick

At first, you must print this very slow. An other thing is possible warping on the print plate.

1 Like

Good advice thanks. I’ll give it a go slowed down and will give the bed a level.

hmm - didn’t seem to help - the shift happened a bit further up this time. I guess it just gets a bit tall and wobbly for it to cope with. Just odd how it only shifts once and then prints fine again afterwards though

Let’s rule out mechanical interference with the z axis lead screws. Have you tried to change the layer height? If the artifact moves, then it’s not mechanical in nature. If it stays in the same place, then that would indicate some sort of z-axis interference and I would be looking at maintenance on the lead screws such as cleaning and/or lubrication.

By the way, as a courtesy to others, if you want to share a file, avoid using file services or settings that require a login or signup, such as Dropbox or at the very least, make the file public. Not only does requiring a sign on pose privacy and cybersecurity risks, but it’s also impolite to ask for help and then require others to jump through hoops to access your file. Ideally you want to share it on a public service without any strings attached. Google drive is fine so long as you don’t require a sign on. I believe Dropbox has an anonymous setting as well.

1 Like

Sorry about the Dropbox. I’ll be sure to take a look at the settings next time

From a technical point of view this looks like a resonance frequency issue. Don’t you have the same problem further towards the top, basically at twice the length from the plate? This would Fürth point towards resonance. Maybe the items are wobbling because of the circular movement of the nozzle.

1 Like

This is the thing to reduce the speed, but perhaps also the acceleration.

1 Like

Hi Olias - I just took a look at my file on dropbox and it seems to be downloadable without login - were you not able to?

(theres an option beneath the login boxes).

thanks for the help

I till get the the same login challenge which means the file is private not public. If you’re testing it within a browser you previously logged into Dropbox, Google or iCloud, you won’t be able to perform a valid first-visitor test because you’re cookies have already exposed your identity to Dropbox.

If you want to check whether your file is set to private or public, you need to use a browser without stored cookies. This will mimic the experience of a new user visiting your link for the first time. If someone has already compromised their privacy by logging into Google or iCloud, they won’t see the login challenge because Dropbox already knows their identity through those services.

The easiest way to test this in real-time is to open the link in an anonymous browsing session. This will only save cookies for that particular browser window and replicate the experience of a first-time visitor or someone who maintains secure internet hygiene.

Edge, Safari, Brave and just about every browser supports an anonymous mode. In Chrome, you can do this by clicking on the Avatar icon in the upper right corner, then selecting “Guest.” This will open a “clean” browser session without any cookies or extensions loaded. When you close this session, all cookies and browsing history stored for that window will be deleted. Other open browser windows will not be affected.

oh! thanks for that. Guess ill just have to use yousendit or something in the future

Wow that’s weird. Sorry, just replying so I can post.

It seems something that tall and thin needs supports. Also try changing the print orientation. Is there a reason you’re printing that tall on the Z axis?
Seeya
M1

Is it A1 or A1 mini? These are some differences in the Z axis but I guess it doesn’t matter. Anyway, if other things didn’t work, hardware checking or slicer settings, here is something to consider.

There is a problem with bedslingers in general, with tall and slim objects. The higher the speed, the higher the bed is vibrating by moving back and forth, and the printed object along with it because it’s just plastic. Bambu is trying to compensate for this, so it’s less visible in general, but still visible at higher speeds and tall objects. At some point it’s amplified by resonance, as someone else said it before. The solution would be to slow it way down, every speed you find) and if it’s not enough, add silent mode on top of it.

1 Like

The reasons mainly because it’s a long walking stick so if I lay it down it’s going to get scarred all down the side. Also if I give it supports the results will be worse than what I’ve got so far. This will be good enough ultimately. (It’s just for my personal sculpts). I’m just curious as to why it’s doing it

I’m using the mini. I’ll have another try reducing the speed even slower thanks.

I don’t think it’s mechanical as the last time I tried it happened an inch bigger up.

The thing I’m puzzled with is how after the little blip it corrects itself :thinking:. If it was due to height and wobblyness I would have expected it to get continuously bad after a certain point. (But I’m a newbie so sure there’s good reason)

From my experience it doesn’t happen like that. Here is one of my examples. High speed + thin and tall object with no support, so it’s vibrating like crazy as I’ve seen it live, and that resonance won’t happen all the way up. I still let it print to the end.

1 Like

I think in this case it’s just physics, the longer and narrower something becomes the more flexible the structure becomes. Think of a wooden dowel. If you have a short piece of say 1/4 dowel it’s fairly stiff but take that some wooden dowel and make it 3 foot long it becomes very flexible and will easily break. I’m wondering if it could be a seam issue. Perhaps at that height the printer is trying to create the layer seem and things just get a bit wonky and the nozzle nudges the print and that’s causing the distortion. look at your slice and check out the while seam on the print. See what’s happening at that layer.
Good Luck
M1

1 Like