Lines in print - too much unsupported overhang?

ok well I wouldn’t quite call it a failed print, but just not very good looking.

As you can see in the picture I am getting some bad lines at the tops of these circles. The circles are 15mm in diameter. Are they too big to be unsupported?

But even beyond the holes the layer lines look horrible and the “dimpled” line through the keyholes at the top. So weird.

I was printing with ABS.

1 Like

I have not done abs yet but I know the slow down for overhangs has be causing problems like this you can try turning it off or adjusting the overhang speeds check your speeds in the drop down menu and see what they might be in this area of the part.

Keep us updated :v:

Yes, looks like the overhang speed problem. Mostly happens with PETG, just increase the overhang speeds and you have a good chance to get rid of it.
Also, for such prints, I suggest to always use “variable layer height”

Yeah it slows WAY down at the tops of the circles

Going to test now. Thanks

@Thrawn from my understanding veriable layer height may not work for me because I am printing this in multi-color.

Tip: Make a small test part with that hole size and see if you can get it better before you do the big part also I know it abs but you might even rotate the part so the nozzle fan get most of the overhangs if you have not already try this.

Your might try 0.16 layer height it will help for overhangs if your part can be at this.

Normal print speed acceleration @ 5000

ABS Fan for overhangs @ 70 %

Keep us updated this will help everyone :grinning:

Alright, well I’ve tried 3 test parts with not much results.
In the attached photo I tried what @3DTech suggested.

• 70% nozzle fan
  • 0% aux fan (default)
  • Changed speed acceleration to 5000mm/s2 (was at 10000 in first post above)
  • And tried turning one part perpendicular to the nozzle fan
  • Slow for Overhang On & Off

You can see the results. The best looking one is #1, which had slow for OH set to on.

So it does look like 5000mm/s and a 70% nozzle fan may have been the only things that made it look better since, it does look better that my first post above. But there is still some layer deformity near the top of each circle on #1 below.

Any other thoughts? Should I give up and make my circles ovals? :frowning:
They are only 15mm ø.

I can test with another material, but I do need to end up with the final part printed in ABS
Thanks!

Ya they look better to me it looks like it’s getting a little hot on top maybe bump the fan a little more or what temp are you running can you drop it say 5c ?

The problem with Bambu slicer or orca slicer at this time is it need more modifier options it one reason I use ideaMaker with some parts.

Ya if you can change the hole to say something like this design ?

Keep us updated :crossed_fingers:

Hi,

Did you ever figure this out, I’m having the same issues with PLA prints with unsupported holes.

Does speeding up the print actually help?