MakerLab parametric model as contest entry

I have an idea for a contest entry that involves customizing some parameters in the MakerLab parametric/OpenSCAD model maker.
I see there are some entries in some contests that are customizable with the vase maker tool but I can’t see how to enter a parametric make into a contest or even add as a regular model

Is it possible? Or do I just enter the OpenSCAD script itself into the contest as a raw file and get the user to do the manual work?

I can’t pre-generate the models as they are very time sensitive and unique to the individual users requirements.

I would upload a demo file in both STL and 3MF formats, print it, and provide the OpenSCAD file. An image of the printed model is required to be uploaded, so you need a demo print anyway.

1 Like

Parametric Model Maker will be integrated into MakerWorld model page soon. When this happens, users can jump to the maker UI directly from the model page if a .scad file is uploaded with the profile.
As @Uhl mentioned, before the integration is done, you could upload a pre-generated 3MF with the most the common parameters. And an image with the printed model is required as well. Then you can add the .scad file to the raw files and add a guide about how to open the file in Parametric Model Maker into the model description.

1 Like

I saw the Parametric Model Maker for the first time today. Thank you for that, I love OpenScad. I noticed that my uploaded models including a SCAD has not an extra button or something like that to jump to the PMM. I guess that is not implemented yet? Or is it only for newly uploaded files?

Hi Coat, it is not implemented yet but under development. So it will be available soon.

I wanted to use an OpenSCAD file, but it seems the Parametric Model Maker does not like negative numbers for parameters. Here’s the example:

//body angle
angle_body=30; //[-70:1:70]
//lid angle
angle_lid=-30; //[-70:1:70]

• I don’t get sliders for these; instead a text field with buttons “-” and “+”.
  • I can’t enter negative numbers directly (“-” can’t be entered); clicking “-” allows getting to them though.
  • If my scad file contains a parameter that is preset to a negative number (here angle_lid), that complete parameter is ignored and not shown in the parameter list at all.
  • (also the limits in the scad parameter declaration are ignored in these)