MakerWorld Exclusive Program is now Live!

We are thrilled to share some exciting news with our community!
Our latest initiative to empower and incentivize our creators,the MakerWorld Exclusive Model Program, is now officially live!
In this program, we offer Cash Rewards and Copyright Support for creators uploading their models exclusively to MakerWorld.
Our goal is simple: Provide our creators with more support and reward that allows them to increase the production of high quality models for our users to download for free.
Please refer to our official Blog for more details: Exclusive Model Program: Cash Rewards and Copyright Support

14 Likes

Important:
Please refer to our MakerWorld Exclusive Model Guideline | Bambu Lab Wiki for our expectations for the quality of our Exclusive Models.
For those spamming low quality models(such as low effort hueforges or highly identical models)as Exclusive Models, we will enforce point deduction penalties on their accounts and ban them from entering the program in the future.

18 Likes

interesting stuff, i’ll be sure to give a look at the documentation

You aren’t handling the current reports too well, honestly don’t think you are going to double down and pull this off…

I designated a few models as exclusive to try it out and see how it stacks up to the regular points program. Will the additional exposure and points negate any potential tax liability? Time will tell over the next 90 days.

Although looking at the deluge of models getting designed as exclusive already, I wonder how much additional exposure there will be in reality.

2 Likes

I see that to join the program for a model, you have to change the model license to “Standard Digital File License” and that license says “The objects may not be used without permission in any way whatsoever in which you charge money, or collect fees.”

If you try changing the “Allow commercial uses of your work?” to YES, it kicks you out of the “Standard Digital File License”.

Is that the intention? Or is this a bug?

1 Like

Based on my reading of the terms, the logic is the full Standard Digital File License provides protection and clarity if you utilise their services to stop others from stealing your model for profit.

So, intentional.

you can still let people sell your models commercially, this is about the source not the result.

3 Likes

Well, current points are worth $0.1225 cents per point. Cash out is at half that at $0.066 cents per point… multiply by 1.25 (increased reward) and it becomes $0.0825 per point. If I want cash, it’ll be paid at 67% discount off of using in the store. NAH, I buy parts and filament with the points. I don’t think I’ll give them 33% percent back from the already reduced amount for 6 months ago.

1 Like

Since this is exclusive, there would be no other place you could post the model and a different license for it.

The full text for the license, clearly says that you can’t sell printed copies of the model. “You shall not share, sub-license, sell, rent, host, transfer, or distribute in any way the digital or 3D printed versions of this object, nor any other derivative work of this object in its digital or physical format (including - but not limited to - remixes of this object, and hosting on other digital platforms). The objects may not be used without permission in any way whatsoever in which you charge money, or collect fees.”

My goal with publishing my models is getting the maximum distribution and I don’t care about charging them extra for a commercial license. So if people aren’t permitted to print my models to sell them, I’m not going to get as many downloads and prints of them.

2 Likes

It may be part of the overall system , there cant be a copyright infringement if you Allow commercial uses of your work

Print farms are a tiny tiny tiny part of the users. And only one download is counted per model/print profile per user. So if a print farm print your model 1000x that will only for one download anyway :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

That is unfortunate and I’d rather they were counted but would still like to allow commercial sales of the models.

Then you must not publish your model under a Standard Digital File license.

1 Like

I only host my files on Makerworld. But I allow access to commercial license of the files (still hosted on makerworld) via my “buymeacoffe”. The conclusion I can draw:

Based on the terms provided, if you upload a model under the Exclusive Program on the MakerWorld platform, you grant MakerWorld certain exclusive rights to host and distribute the model for a specified period. Here’s what the terms imply about selling a commercial license outside of MakerWorld:

1. Exclusivity of Hosting: The model itself must be exclusively hosted on the MakerWorld platform. This means the digital files for the model cannot be uploaded or made available on other platforms during the exclusivity period.
  2. Standard Digital File License (Section 3.4.2): Models on MakerWorld are licensed to users under a Standard Digital File License, which limits usage to non-commercial, personal use only. Users cannot use the files for commercial purposes.
  3. Commercial Licensing Outside MakerWorld: While the model files must be hosted exclusively on MakerWorld, the terms do not explicitly prevent me from offering separate commercial licenses outside of the platform. I can license the rights for commercial use directly to others, provided the model files themselves remain hosted exclusively on MakerWorld, and I are not distributing the digital files elsewhere.
  4. Licensing Considerations: Since the MakerWorld license is exclusive regarding the hosting of the files, I should ensure that any commercial license I sell outside MakerWorld does not involve providing the actual model files hosted on MakerWorld. I can, for example, offer a separate agreement that grants commercial production rights without distributing the original digital files. Like I do with my buymeacoffe page.

In summary, I can still sell a commercial license outside of MakerWorld as long as the files themselves remain exclusively hosted on MakerWorld and I do not distribute them through other channels.

6 Likes

Id assume not because then they are not inclusive , unless excempt from the exclusive program

well, there’s where I make another conclusion. I as the creator still have powers to grant other licenses even if the models are provided via makerworld. The moedels are still exlusively hosted on makerworld and not availible via other channels.

Would be great if @makerworld cleared this up.

2 Likes

That how I understand it too. IANAL @MalcTheOracle :wink:

Im looking at it from this point of view and as an overall exclusive program, with that said you could always use something like ko-fi or other donation sites :wink: for you rather than the work

And you forgot about the tax on redeeming cash, in Italy, it’s another 20% off.

There can’t be copyright infringements on something you have create and owns the right and allowed some to use it for commercial use ?!