Maximum resolution supported in the X1C?

I’d like to know which is the minimum supported layer height for the X1C with the lowest nizzle diameter possible (at this time, 0.2 nozzle).

I’ve done some tests with the 0.4 nozzle and it can print nicely at 0.08 layer height. I was wondering if there is some “official” supported maximum resolution for the X1C (or, the same, minimum layer height supported with all the settings well calibrated and all the needed official hardware for the matter).

Thanks.

1 Like

It’s a size below the limits of squeezing filament out of a nozzle, but the printer does attempt to print at 0.01mm.

I successfully printed a tiny Benchy at 0.02mm layers (0.2mm nozzle) but my settings weren’t dialled well, so I got unusual artefacting making the print look worse than a 0.08mm version.

Is there some kind of guide or parameters/recommendations that we can look for this kind of settings for our prints? Like some basic PLA parameter ranges, or which settings should we tune and experiment with to be able to see some better quality on them.

I’ve also noticed that with my 0.08mm layer height my prints become more fragile, but I don’t know if it’s because of the layer height or because my filament is not fully dry (I haven’t had time to test this and I don’t have a filament dryer yet). Has this been your case, too, with your benchy (leaving the quality aside)?

Also, are you going to try to print that benchy at 0.02mm layers again with the right settings? If so, could you please share an image? I’m excited to see what we can print.

At 0.08mm, your print speed will increase (up to the filament max flow) which will likely decrease layer adhesion.

The Benchy I printed was tiny, so difficult to gauge much more than the visual quality.

I’m not going to try a 0.02mm layer print any time soon, but if you want layers that fine I’d recommend resin. It’s just not a good idea with FDM really due to the physics of squeezing out plastic. Bridges and overhangs become more and more problematic the smaller you go.

1 Like

I see. That makes sense as I saw some of my 0.08 prints look more brittle and fragile. I assumed it was because of not dryed filament.

Isn’t there a way to compensate that? Like increasing temperature to improve layer adhesion or to slow down print speed?

Technically, you do have a filament dryer. The printer itself qualifies as one. Just position the heatbed in the center and turn it on, then set the spool on it and close up the printer. Works every time for me. Might help with the durability of the max res prints.

3 Likes

I would think a slightly lower temp and much slower print speed would be what fixes it…but don’t quote me on that since I’m referencing an old video someone put up on youtube about it.

Edit: Forgot to mention that they used a different nozzle size than what you would normally see. Can’t remember if it was bigger or smaller than 0.4 though.

1 Like

Lower print speeds (and reduced cooling) is generally the fix for poor layer adhesion.

The unusual artifacting on smaller layer sizes that I experienced is likely down to an incorrect flow value, and too high a print temp.

2 Likes