Missing Thumbnails

I have my new X1 Carbon Combo printing but without displaying any print file thumbnails. I am sure its something I have overlooked but all of my searches for an answer have failed. I cannot find any settings in the latest version of Bambu Studio while in Orca Slicer I have the thumbnails set to 300x300, PNG file type, and Marlin (legacy) flavour.
What am I missing?
Thank you

The most current versions (firmware 1.7.0 and up and studio versions 1.8 and up) have issues displaying thumbnails of stl files.
Save the file as a 3mf after slicing and it should display properly.

Thank you for that info. I will wait and keep my eye on developments. I did try saving the file as a 3MF and sure enough the thumbnail did show up on my printer however it said something about lacking the G code and stopped me in my tracks. I would hope that this issue will be resolved soon, as the display as advertised was the main reason for me buying the X1 Carbon. Am I correct in thinking the slicer should be Marlin (legacy)?

It is Marlin compatible, and yes. It should be Marlin (legacy).

If you are using the SD card to transfer files to the print, you need to save it as a presliced 3mf file.
Slice the file, then click the button that says print and choose “export plate sliced file”. Finally, click on export plate sliced file after the drop down menu closes to save the file to the SD card.
If you are using wifi to send or print the file, you do not need to export it first. However you may need to close and reopen the file to make sure Studio has adjusted itself correctly.

That was all news to me so, when my confused brain recovers a bit I will give it a go. With my Ender 3 and Sonic pad all I had to do was slice the file and export it as G Code, the only thing it asked of me was to ensure the thumbnail size and format were correct. That is until an update stopped it working altogether. My latset Bambu Studio (updated yesterday) has nothing about thumbnails in the menus.

I have tried what you said and the X1 is churning out a file with an icon on the screen so, many thanks to you, progress is being made. The file in question is 2 colour however the icon shows only 1 colour. That is a mystery for later. I realise that I will have to familiarise myself with the files being used as I am only used to STL’s and G Codes.
Now its time for a cup of tea while I wait and see if I get my 2 colours.
Once again thank you for guiding me.

1 Like

what would happen if i ran it on marlin 2, would it make a difference?

I don’t believe it. Would cause any issues

would it make prints better do you think?

No. This only changes some gcode command formats.