Models not getting attention they should

Hey so iv’e been noticing that my model has not been getting any attention lately any idea why, not to self promote just wondering why the algorithm would just ignore me. And to be honest some other people have probably experienced working hard on a model for 1 month and eventually it just turns out that nobody likes it or that the algorithm ignores it.

Perhaps back this up with some data from the analytics tool?

Here are som data over the past 3 months. Now I’m a small fish here when it comes to content, haven’t added anything new in a while, but it seems very consistent

I have no clue what boost does for a model as I get a few for some of them and don’t see any chance in analytics for the model in that time.

How many models you’ve uploaded? and how many of those models are popular?

As i can see from my data it seems that my models are getting views but maybe i hadn’t put enough marketing while others i saw get featured with the lack of info I’m quite lost here.

I think it will be more easy if you just look me up on the site, same nickname :slight_smile:

I have yet to crack the go-viral with a model, but I also don’t care about hitting a viral model. If I make something for myself, a coworker, and so on, but I don’t see it as a model that’s worth selling prints of I will “dump it” on maker world and get a few points for it

I did try to jump on to the 2D art trend but ether I missed the train or people just don’t like a 2D baby dragon inspired by Charizard that’s 3d printed :woman_shrugging:

How ever don under estimate making print profiles of a part that don’t have any, or a remix of a small part that don’t hold up to what you wanted.

I think other don’t wait to be featured. They “drum-up business” by posting links to their designs on social media or other message boards.

Just an assumption though. I noticed an up-tick in my views when I posted a few makes and linked back to my models.

3 Likes

There’s an ebb and flow I’ve been noticing.

There’s the weekly flow, which spikes on the weekends. I think too as we get into the summer here, there’s been a certain drop off of activity as people are going out and doing things with their family and friends, finally enjoying the sun again!

I have a variety of things, and I notice it across the board. Especially as the weather gets warmer, there’s been a few days where it feels like crickets, even with popular models. I suspect over the summer, activity may be a little lower overall, until Bambu releases another printer at least!

I’ve no air conditioning, so despite wanting to print, I’m much more interested in not being boiled alive in my office. :rofl:

4 Likes

Could you elaborate on how you believe your models are undervalued? Are there specific metrics that fall short of your expectations? Are you comparing your numbers to those of others, or is this impression based on intuition? Do you anticipate one of your models achieving higher visibility, increased view counts, more downloads, or greater point rewards? What underpins these expectations? Is it the amount of time and effort you have invested in developing your models?

3 Likes

You are an excellent designer from what I see in your profile. Your pictures aren’t good tho.

The subject needs to stand out from the background. Don’t use a dark background on a dark product. Make sure the subject takes up as much space as possible in the image, is clearly visible, and shows it’s fuction or it’s best features. Use more light too.

Take 20 pictures and choose the better ones.

Notice how your most popular design has the best picture (and it’s also a real cool thing)

Look up product photography on youtube, it’s easy, you got it.

Ok ill look it up thanks for the idea, I will try to report back from my analysis after i did a change to my model after what you and other people just said. Thank you everyone

According to my analysis my models fall short on my expectations for what i can see. Ive worked on models for around 1 month before posting them so while i work on those models my account may be seen as inactive. Because of that i think the algorithm doesn’t really acknowledge my models as much as other creators that posts daily. But yes i also need to post models with better photos to get more people interested in. As always i will report back.

Also ive made a product picture before for my spaceship but i took it down since I thought the name “Starship” was quite similar to the other starship

What do you think should i place this as the cover image again?

1 Like

I don’t think the algorithm considers the time between uploads, as it isn’t an indicator for or against a model’s success.

Here are my thoughts on why your spaceship is underperforming (apologies if this sounds harsh; I believe in providing honest feedback to help you improve):

• Photo Quality: I agree with @Caguayo; the photos are not good. You’ll need to invest time and effort into creating a space-like environment or at least place your model on a stand with a neutral or colorful background to showcase it without distractions.
  • Descriptive Naming: Avoid using made-up names that only you know. For example, “Star Wars Tie-Fighter” is a good name, while “MySpaceship called Eddy” is not. The title is crucial for the search algorithm. Introduce your original creations once you have an established following.
  • Relevant Tags: Your current tags, such as 3d, print, popular, free, original, bambulab, nice, cool, are too generic and unrelated to the model. They won’t help with search visibility. Look at similar items and analyze the tags those creators use. Skip popular themes like Star Wars, Star Trek, NASA, and SpaceX, as they have inherent searchability.
  • Starting with Originals: While starting with original models is admirable, it requires significant staying power and a marketing strategy, as you can’t rely on popular search terms. Even the best product is worthless if no one knows about it. Don’t expect an algorithm to do your marketing. Consider creating models inspired by established brands or franchises. They don’t have to be replicas but can be inspired by them.
  • Managing Expectations: I’ve seen incredibly talented creators struggle to gain attention, even with proper photos and great presentations. Sometimes, the design doesn’t match the audience. Try another platform like Printables to see if you find more success there. That does not mean you should stop posting here!

I hope you find this assessment helpful.

It’s better than the GIF, but it’s still just “meh.” I’m confident you’ll find a better setting for a proper photo. For this specific case, avoid adding labels like “Fully 3D Printable.” Only include text if it helps convert an impression into a view or explains what the model is about. Since this is a 3D printing platform, people will assume it’s 3D printable. Whether it requires a screw or not shouldn’t matter much at this stage of drawing interest.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your helpful insight and i will look forward to apply yours and others recommendations to my models and future models that i will release. Pls note that at the time im writing this im currently working hard to find better backgrounds and more. But i do have one more question left which is how to get featured. Since i have seen a lot of people get featured. And i have read the bambulab guide to getting featured. Anyone knows how?

This is a wonderful analysis and great write up! I want to preface this by saying that I make models myself (but do not upload them to makerworld) and have really only toyed around with makerworld briefly when I first got my printer. However, I have seen a few of these discussions and similar popping up on Reddit ect with bambu labs post asking for help, and found myself reflecting on what I liked about makerworld and why I don’t even look at it really anymore.

You hit the nail on the head with your write up, I agree with almost everything you said. I would also like to add from the designers point of view, as it is one similar to my own, that designers are not marketers! Which is unfortunate and tough on bambu labs in this case as the marketers get the glory. You mentioned that you cannot rely on the algorithm to do your marketing, which is true, but unfortunate due to the former statement I will emphasize that DESIGNERS ARE NOT MARKETERS, and in my opinion it is on bambu labs to do their best and give these designers the tools to succeed. Of course you should put effort in if you want your models to succeed, but at the end of the day I think it’s unfair to expect that talented model markers are also all marketing savvy people.

As I continue to reflect on makerworld and even sometimes consider putting my models on the platform, it is all of these exact points that I think about and lead me against uploading them.

[quote=“Uhl, post:13, topic:82919”]
For this specific case, avoid adding labels like “Fully 3D Printable.” Only include text if it helps convert an impression into a view or explains what the model is about.

[quote]

This is the only part that I wholeheartedly disagree with. It is the last consideration that always leads me away from the platform. Personally, I design complex projects that use bearings, screws, stock tubing ect. which lend themselves extremely poorly to the makerworld ecosystem. When I first got my printer and was browsing makerworld even 1 screw would immediately deter me completely from printing something no matter how cool it was (as I am from America and only have imperial screws which no one uses in 3dp) and I was only on makerworld because I wanted to print something NOW. I really like and appreciate the FULLY 3D PRINTABLE text on the thumbnail because for me that implies no extra parts or stock to make something.

Lastly, I would just like to add a picture of a design I made for a presentation, and provide the OP with a solution for taking better pictures.
This is an pneumatic flat 6 engine I made that as you can see is a majority 3d printed. I would never even consider uploading this model due to the part count making it far too difficult for someone else to source and the complexity of assembly. However, as you can see in the picture, the photo is somewhat clean. I took this by draping a bedsheet over a couch and then adjusting the exposure and black point until the background was white. With some more effort put into the bedsheet I am sure you could require much less adjustment that is leading to the ghostly and blown out coloring on this picture. Just an idea :slight_smile:

Thanks for the write up and as you said, I hope someone found this useful.
(I guess my description will have to do because I can’t post an image :frowning: )

We are all on this together, but i agree with some of your statements

In order to fix the photo problem iv’e purchased a small plain white background set so that i could take photos of my models clear from the disruptive backgrounds. Any opinions and do you guys also use a background set.

When I need to isolate a printed model visually, I usually use items that are readily available to me: a table against a white wall, a large mousepad, etc. I tried using a large foldable photobox with integrated lighting for a few days, but I wasn’t pleased with the results or the ease of use.

Here are some simple steps I sometimes follow to add ambiance to the model with minimal effort:

1. Place the model on a neutral-colored pillar (black, white, or gray). This pillar can be 3D printed, a box, or a similar object.
  2. Find a wallpaper that matches the model’s theme and display it on your TV or monitor.
  3. Position the elevated model in front of the TV or monitor at an appropriate distance.
  4. Use the portrait mode on your cellphone to further separate the model from the background.

This approach takes very little time, is highly flexible, and costs nothing. While the results may not be perfect, they are generally decent.

5 Likes