Multiple AMS without Hub!

Hey everyone,

I got my first P1S about 6 weeks ago together with my first AMS and was so happy with how easy it was to print multicolor, that I ordered my 2nd AMS together with its Hub 2 weeks later.

Long story short… The AMS arrived… but the Hub has not even been shipped to this date, so I figured, as I have stuff pending to be printed, let’s test a theory:

2 AMS → Y-adapter → Standard Hub

and it works!!! :smiley:
I´m probably not the first one to try this… to be honest, I have not even looked it up. The print finished like 5 minutes ago and I’m sooooo happy that I needed to share this Juuuuuhuuuu!!

I can finally print my pending projects before Christmas!! Yey!!

PD: The tape in picture above was just to fix the Y-adapter to the PTFE tubes as I didn’t even bother looking for the couplers XD

Edit: Here the final version:

3 Likes

This is awesome to see! I just got my P1S with second AMS and was waiting to even be able to order the hub. If this saves me $50, I will give this a try ASAP.

Currently, I have no plans to expand to a third AMS, so this would be a perfectly acceptable solution.

Did you have to mess with any of the filament retraction distances for either AMS or was it essentially ‘plug and play’?

1 Like

I have printed two small test-pieces and haven’t had any issues so far.
Just stacked all my PETG into both AMS and will now do a decent test.

I’ll keep you guys updated.

PD: Welcome to this awesome community :smiley:

PD2: Just looked through the Maker World and as I thought… I wasn’t the first one to come up with this. Here’s even a four-splitter, so the hub really seems somewhat unnecessary.

I’m actually very curious about other peoples opinions regarding this alternative who might have a long-term experience.

2 Likes

I saw a post some time ago about using the A1 AMS lite filament hub as a splitter for the regular AMS and external spool. I picked one up as they’re cheap, but haven’t tried it yet. There are a few mounts for it as well on MW. Here’s one example:

1 Like

That’s interesting… first time I actually see that splitter. Haven’t looked into the bed-slinger yet but seems to be a great printer, especially for the price-tag.

Manx thx for the hint. :smiley:

PD: I printed 4 multicolor coasters with my setup. 8 colors, 2 layers, and not 1 problem! :grin:

I also just noticed there is now an official version for the X1/P1s: Bambu 4-in-1 PTFE Adapter | Bambu Lab US

1 Like

They seem to have noticed that people are smart ^^