Need Help With Dowels

Hello everyone. I’m using BambuStudio to create a lightbox. I need to cut my image into two sections and insert dowels so that they connect back together. The issue I’m having is that the post that the dowel goes into is going all the way through and creating a hole on the first layer of the print. How do I adjust the height of the post so that it starts printing after a couple of layers have already been printed? I’ve attached a picture to show what I’m talking about.
Screenshot 2024-04-07 221159
Screenshot 2024-04-07 221306
Thank you!

Are you using the insert negative part feature of bambu studio or have you designed your dowel holes in a CAD software? For the former, select “objects” instead of “global” in the left pane and select the “generic-cylinder” you have created. Click the move icon on top of bambu studio and increase the Z parameter. Note that if you input “0” the cylinder will be half way below and half way up (I know it’s nonintuitive) so to have it above the build plate you have to input half of the cylinder height + the value you want your dowel hole to be above the build plate. As an example let’s say your negative cylinder is 20mm high and you want the first 5mm of layers without the hole, you will then have to select 15 as your Z value (20/2 + 5) in the move section. The hole will then start at 5mm and continue for 20mm.

Hi philch.

Thank you for the reply. To answer your question, I’m using BambuStudio to create the dowels and the holes.

I do see the object selection in the left hand pane however, I do not see an option to select the cylinder. I only see 2 options: one for the whole piece, and one for the dowel. I have attached screen shots so you can see what I’m talking about.

Here is the process I’m following:

• After resizing the object I go to the cut tool.
  • From there I select add connectors.
  • Select dowel as the type.
  • I change the depth ratio to reflect half the height of the object. In my case the whole object is 1.5 inches tall, so I input .75 inches.
  • Then I click confirm connectors.
  • Then perform cut.
    Screenshot 2024-04-08 140143
    plate

If you want to do it in Bambu Slicer only, simply create a cylinder by right clicking on the plate and choosing Add Primitive/part > Cylinder. Once created, select Scale, uncheck the “Uniform Scale” and set the Z height to the depth off to the plate. So if you want the dowel to leave 5 mms make the Z height 5 mms and just position it as best you can.

Basically, you’ll be adding a section of cylinder to fill the hole. But note, I think the dowels will be too big, so you may have to cut them down.

I’ve always disliked the lack of precision in the slicer’s Boolean tools. Only one centering aid, that is almost always useless. No surface aid to find the surface you want to add things to. Still waiting for simple things like the world/model gizmo to align the view quickly (available in 2.0 Orca). Would be nice to just have basic alignment tools. Sorry, rant over.

Oops, I thought you had done it manually not use the automatic dowel creation during cutting which I’ve never used… It is normal that each part will have the hole going through its base, on the top of one part and on the bottom of the other so when you install the dowel it can be inserted on both sides to make the assembly. What is not normal is that the hole will go all the way through, I guess it’s because you used half the height of the final model for the dowel depth which actually correspond to the exact height of each part so the dowel hole goes all the way through. Incidentally in my version of bambu studio (1.9.0.60 beta), I cannot do it, I am limited to a value that cannot be half the height of the model but 2/3 (33%) of it. Try to select less than 0.75" as the depth and see what happens.

You can see on your plate that the dowel is actually 1.5" high, not 0.75" so it shows that the value you insert is actually the depth of the hole in each part, not the height of the dowel (which is twice that).

Thank you for the tip, just4memike.

I was experimenting with the “add primitive/part” options, and it looks like this is going to be the way to go. I’ve wasted too much time fiddling with the cut tool.

Thanks again!

I’m going to give that a try. Maybe my measurements are off and that’s what’s causing the hole.

If that doesn’t work then I’m going to use the “add primitive/part”. That might be easier.

Thanks for the help!