Need Recomendation on what filament to use

I’m looking for a recommendation on what filament type to use, specifically for the attached Gears. These gears will be connected to other parts in an enclosed box and for a hand crank on a louvered product. I was asked about using Nylon, however, I have never used nylon with My X1 Carbon. The part will not be exposed to the sun, or any light, however, It will be outside.

Can anyone recommend what filament to use and if I need to make certain adjustments while printing?

recommend nylon due to it’s somewhat self-lubricating feature. Get yourself a bed made out of garolite. Nylon will stick to it. That filament also has to be dry so regardless if it just came out of a bag or not it’s worth drying it for a few hours before printing. It also prefers slower speeds, maybe comparable to TPU/flex filaments kind of slow.

What ever you use do not use PLA. It will eventually grind itself into powder.

edit, quick search found this example of what not to use I feel being there is abrasive in CF…

1 Like

If it is a hand crank and not something with constant continuous movement and high temperature exposure then PETG will likely do
Higher temperature exposure and no continuous movement ABS or ASA

2 Likes

Thank you!!! I will check out the plate and a filament drying solution. I’m in florida so that will be an absolute necessity.

Jepp, Nylon it is, couldn’t say it better…
Try to print with a low layer height and a 98% infill for the small gears.
For the bigger ones you can use less infill as Nylon is quite tuff.
Set the wall loops so that you still have at least TWO to the inside after the teeth are done.
Otherwise they might flex and wear too much under high loads.
Since Nylon is a bit of a pain do NOT try to print a single tiny gear…
Print the lot and it the thin top parts struggle to come out clean clone them or add another complete set to increase the overall layer time.

1 Like

Okay, so I have the following on order:

1. PA6-CF filament
  2. 0.6mm Hardened steel nozzle (Recommended)
  3. FIXDRY 3D Filament dryer and
  4. Garolite plate.

Hopefully I got this right. Thanks for the help!