New weird noise on X1C

Yesterday, i replaced the complete hotend assembly in my X1C, and during the process, i manually moved the toolhead around a bit while the power was off.

Today, i’m getting a weird low frequency vibration as it moves through certain areas of a large flat surface, and the surface is rather wavy instead of smooth.

Is it more likely that i need to do some carbon rod/belt mainentance, or could it just be a hiccup in the bed leveling cycle?

Did you perform the full calibration after replacing your hotend?
This might already solve it.
You should also check if both hotend screws are tight and you placed the cables back under the cable clip.

2 Likes

Hotend was tightened down well, and cables in the clip. I just the regular bed leveling and extrusion calibrations that usually run before each print. I’ll try the “calibrate” option that appears in the utility screen per your suggestion.

1 Like

Did you find a fix for this? Im in the exact same position across all 3 of my P1S printers. Im wanting to do large square like prints and this happens on the second layer around in the middle-ish.

Pretty frustrating! Not sure at all how to fix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izdBZ9IQfqI
The above video explain the belt adjustment.
But moving the toolhead should cause belt related issues.

@The_Cardboard_Gamer: no, the problem continues. i’ve been doing hueforge prints a lot (.16mm 1st layer 1, .08mm thereafter), and that effect seems to start at layer 4 every time, even though the previous 3 were gorgeous. speeds have all been default to bambu .08 x1c extra fine parameters with 100% infill. i might try some tests to see if it’s something that happens specifically at that height (.4mm).

Im also doing Hueforges but i also do regular squares at all the regular settings (frames) and its happening there as well.

My problems start on the second layer around in the middle. First layer looks nice, the corners look nice and bam i hear the scraping noise with the wavy lines.

I mainly use bambu pla but also generic high speed pla. Ive reduced the flow ratio from 0.98 to 0.93 and after one test print, 2 printers didnt seem to do it at all. The 3rd printer was going perfect until the 4th layer but it was still minimal wavy lines compared to before. The quality seemed the same as well. Im going to test it more today maybe at 0.92 and report back.

But maybe try that and see if that helps you?

I settled on using 0.92 for bambu basic pla and 0.90 for generic pla.

Doing this has so far, stopped all the wavy lines and scraping from happening. Not sure why i have to go that low which could be another issue entirely but this is what is working. Prints come out perfectly so far!

Just a little follow up.

I did some tests with a 200x200 squares, like this.

1. .4mm high, .2mm layers
  2. .6mm high, .2mm layers
  3. .46mm high, .16mm layers
  4. .4mm high, .16mm 1st layer, .12mm remaining layers
    5, 6, & 7) .48mm high, .16 1st layer, .08mm remaining layers

The effect didn’t start until using .08mm layers, and it was not consistent. the first was perfect, the 2nd had it start right at the first .08 layer, and on the third it didn’t start until the final layer. weird.

Now i’m going to repeat the .08 layer version and use your suggestion of reducing flow ratio, dialing it down 2% each time. So thank you for pointing me in that direction.

Bragging! You lucky person, I get things off the printer, the printer doesn’t get me off.

:rofl:

Very annoying problem! Its beeen about a week for me and i havnt run into the issue.

My flow rate is set at 0.92 for bambu and 0.90 for generic pla and havnt run into the issue since. Im doing hundreds of hueforges with all the same settings as you. When i tried 0.95 flow rate at first it didnt solve it until i went right down.

My layers did look exactly like yours with the wavy lines (sometimes worse) mine would generally start on the second layer.

Let me know how changing the flow rate works!

I started having this issue too