Night mode

I feel like the A1 (mini) would need a night mode to be more comfortable to sleep with, including:

1. dimming or turning off motherboard and AMS lights (pun not intended)
  2. dimming the screen and making it shutdown in 30s
  3. (optional to user) enabling silence mode
  4. disabling sound
  5. (optional to user) reducing the print and heartbreak fan by a parametrable amount
  6. (optional to user) disabling camera light
2 Likes

So how far does one take a design?

I mean line 3 already exists on the X1 and P1 series, I want to believe it’s already in the A1 because one would have to actually change the slicer code to remove quiet mode, but correct me if I am wrong if this feature was removed.

Item 4? Do you really believe it’s possible to completely eliminate the sound of a stepper motor? BL already has some of the quietist algorithms in the industry.

Item 5. The Heat Break fan is there for a reason? Would you prefer running the risk of clogging your nozzle? Should Bambu Honor the warranty of a unit who’s Heat Break fan has been disabled?

Line item 6 - Disabling the light? Well, there you might have something but have you considered printing a cover for it instead?

And finally line item 1 - That is easily remedied via electrical tape covering the LEDs.

This request list sounds like you’re sleeping in the same room as the printer and these annoyances are disturbing you. I understand that but alternatively, one could simply unplug the unit when not in use.

Or you could fabricate an enclosure. In fact, the shipping carton that it came with probably would be very suitable to such a purpose.

Or simply adapt this design from Printables and substitute cardboard or some other opaque or soundproof material for the plexiglass. You could also decorate the enclosure to make the item more complimentary of the room décor.

https://www.printables.com/model/595731-bambu-lab-a1-mini-enclosure

Looking aside from the feasability of these points in a technical manner, there are additional concerns to sleeping (or living) in the same room as a running 3D-Printer (especially a non-enclosed one).

The first of course is a possible fire hazard, though from what I’ve heard, this is not a common occurence with these not self-assembled machines from BambuLab. It was more of a problem on older, more DIY machines on which you sometimes did your own wiring.

The second, larger point, is air pollution, specifically by volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and PM2.5s (Particles with an aerodynamic diameter of less than 2.5 micrometers), that are commonly emitted during fused deposition modeling (FDM). There have been studies and investigations on the short-term effect of these emissions on an unventilated space, but since the home-use of these machines is still (relatively) new, no long-term effect studies have been conducted yet.

The general consensus however, is that these are probably harmful to your body, so spending large durations of time in an unventilated space with a printer is not a good idea. The amount of particles and how bad they are for you varies by material, with ABS or ASA generally emitting more, while printing PLA emits fewer particles.

There are two main things that you can do to counteract these effects:

1. Filter the air in your room
  2. Ventilate your space well (exchange the air with fresh one)

How well filtering works depends on what type of filter you use and how good it is at filtering out the specific particles that your printer emits. The total effect however is bounded by an upper limit and a small filter often takes a long time to filter all the air in your room. This performance can be improved by attaching the filter directly onto an exhaust for enclosed printers (e.g. X1C, P1S), but this can only be done for open-style printers (P1P, A1, A1mini) by building an additional enclosure.

The best way to prevent the particles from harming you is of course to vent the air from the printer directly to the outside, or by regularly (or continuously) venting the entire air in your room. The effectiveness of this of course also depends on the air quality in the city you live in, as big cities also often have a lot of fine particles that can be bad for you. Venting the air from a printer exhaust directly to the outside is of course again easier on enclosed printers, and only possible for open printers by building an enclosure.

In conclusion, sleeping or spending long amounts of time in an enclosed space with a running 3D printer is probably not the best for your health, though the exact long-term effects are not yet well-understood. This also depends a lot on the types of materials that you are printing. Filtering the air in your room or exchanging it for fresh one from outside is always a good idea though, and building a specific exhaust system for your printer is also not a bad idea, especially if you are printing some of the more advanced materials.

Here you can find some more resources that you can use if you are interested in more information or some hard numbers:

2 Likes

Dimming or turning off motherboard and AMS lights: This is essential for creating a dark environment conducive to sleep. Ideally, there should be an option to completely turn off these lights, with a dimmer setting as an alternative.

Dimming the screen and setting a timer for shutdown: An auto-dimming function at night would be great, followed by an automatic screen shutdown after a user-defined period (30 seconds sounds perfect!).

1 Like

I assume they meant disable the “completed print” melody rather than make the printer completely silent :joy:

Yes it’s that, plus the stepper are usually not what makes the most noise, it’s the fans

The melody is easy to edit out of the gcode in “Machine end G-code” under “;=====printer finish sound=========”

2 Likes
  1. yes the “silent mode” (50% speed) is available as a setting but enabling it automatically would be an (optional) feature of the mode

2. I mean disabling the startup and end of print sound, I know that it’s not possible to make the stepper completely silent

3. I don’t mean disabling, but reducing it at least a bit if possible, same thing for the part cooling fan (you can’t put it to a lesser percentage, because when the print hit a part where the fan speed is changed, it reset it to higher values)

4. this is a bit more of personal opinion, but I bought a magnificent industrial looking machine,
    so if possible I won’t put tape all over it, plus the motherboard still need airflow, so it’s not just putting something on the holes

(same thing for the enclosure, I only print PLA and don’t have much money to spend on a nice, transparent enclosure, and I still want to see my beautiful machine in the day)

Yes, you can also turn off the sound by a setting
But it’s nice to have the sound in the day,
and either you forget to disable it for the night and risk getting woke up or forget to enable it back for the day
(for the first reason, I keep it disable, because sleep hours are too precious to get woken up so stupidly)

yeah it’s all already possible manually, just like you can put your phone on silent, dim the screen, set nightlight, disable vibration etc. I think OP is after a simple mode switch to enable all these settings at night and then turn it off in the morning, or better yet, an automatic schedule - again just like most phones have these days.

The melody ( prompt ) can be turned off in the print options
calibration also has motor noise cancellation

Oh, How could I didn’t think of that one !

I could finally use all the space in my home, because I have definently unused space that would perfectly suit my printer other than in my room or my crappy cold wet basement with rough concrete everywhere and low internet conectifivity

Thanks for this lifesaving tip !

No seriously, I still live in my parents house so beside my room and the nearly outside basement I don’t have much space.

I think a lot of people are also in a similar situation where it’s just not possible.

So please refrain from posting pure unthought dumpness like this…

Oh I get it now, you live with mom and dad but your asking Bambu to make their printer quiet to accommodate Your needs. You knew buying it what noise level it reached, that’s of course if you did your research. So if you ask a stupid question, guess what kind of answers you’re going to get. Put the printer right by your bed and wrap with pillows sensitive pansy.

The biggest problem isn’t the noise but the light, I just also included the noise because it wozld also be not bad, but it’s definitely not the priority

Are you ok? You seem angry about something

I might have sent a little bit spicy message.

Sorry to him for that, but had a rough day

(His first post was still a bit salty and unthought thou)

Don’t worry, my message was in reply to him, he’s the one being rude

1 Like

It has this all it’s called the off switch at the back

you heard of something called printing at night to save time or because you need sometime ready for the next day

Does the noise bother you or your parents … your parent do some wall sound proofing. If it’s you you could look to make a sound damping partition to put in front of the printer in the evenings - reduces lights and sound